Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rude_rudy

here we go

RUDE_RUDY
19 years ago

Well, as if I need another project to occupy me, I just ordered a beginners kit from a bee keepers catalogue.

My buddy, who raised bees in Italy when he was growing up, will mentor me.

I am excited about learning, and eagerly anticipate my first taste of home grown honey made from indigenous native wild flowers.My one question is, how much time should I expect to need to spend on a weekly basis to care for the little fellas?

thanx in advance

rudy

Comments (5)

• Barnabus
    19 years ago

Hi Rudy:
    When I got my first package of bees and put them in the brood box I didn't go into them to check on them for 14 days after that I spent about 2 hours a week checking on them untill they had built about 3/4 of the frames with comb and was was ready for more space. I didn't get any honey that year (last) but my hives are very strong this spring and I expect to get honey this spring. I already have my honey supers on. By the way be careful calling them fellas they might get upset and fly away, they are all ladies. Joking of course about flying away.
    Stay in touch with this forum there are several experts that will answer most any question you may have.
    Barnabus

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

I would say an hour every two weeks. I hope you arranged to get your bees in a nuc rather than in a package. And, frankly, I'm not sure if a mentor in italy is as helpful as someone closer and familiar with the ongoing problems we have here in the US.

• txbeeguy
    19 years ago

Rudy,
    I agree with Rob (ccrb1); certainly no more than that - at least in the beginning. I'll use this opportunity to say what I try to convince a lot of new beekeepers to do (or don't do...as the case may be). And even though I'll be the first to admit it's hard to keep the natural curiosity under control, it is much better to NOT disturb them too much in the early stages of them getting their "house" established. If you're starting from a nuc, then you can take a few more liberties since they'll be adjusted to their queen already and most likely have some frames of comb already built. But if you're starting from a package, it's far better to not disturb them. Give them a chance to release the new queen (undisturbed) and keep the sugar syrup on them so they have access to the energy supply they need to pull wax (i.e., draw out their comb). Fight against the temptation of "just checking on them" too frequently - let them get settled and get their hive established first. After they're established and the queen has started laying, then you can "check on them" all you want. In the meanwhile, try to keep it to a minimum.
    Rob, I don't think his friend is still in Italy. I took what Rudy wrote as that his mentor is here now - just that he grew up in Italy.

• RUDE_RUDY
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for taking the time to respond. my friend does live here now, I consider myself lucky to have an experienced person to explain the process, I intend to also seek advice from local bee keepers who will have encountered circumstances unique to this area.
    I will try to resist the urge to check out what is going on inside the hive.
    by the way, the ups truck dropped off my beginers kit
    yesterday.
    rudy

• Konrad___far_north
    19 years ago

Rudy
    Basic principals of keeping bees in Italy or wherever in this world are the same, so you
    are fortunate to have a friend, who is willing to help you out!

Barnabus
    I have my first package coming end of April and have a Joyce of "Hiving" them on
    drawn comb [bought from a bee keeper], or brand new plastic foundation.
    As I understand, you also hived them onto empty ones and you did just fine. Since I don't know the history of these drawn ones, I might hive them on new ones.
    Haven't made up my mind yet!
    Konrad

Sponsored