Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apiary start-up questions

Posted by spyderette NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 17:01

i am starting up beekeeping again after a 5-year hiatus. this will be my 3rd year keeping bees in total and my first in NJ and also first time having them in my yard. i will have 2 hives on about 3/4 acre including a wooded area.

i have a few questions:

1. what are some ideas for providing a water source for the bees? all references seem kinda vague.

2. i dont' have a lot of sun, but several locations that are partial sun/dappled sun. would that be okay? the really sunny spots are where the kids play and there is also a pathway running adjacent to the yard in those areas.

3. if i put a small fence around the two hives, how much room should i allow inside to adequately work? (considering putting up a picket fence to keep out kids and critters -- groundhogs, skunks, rabbits, deer)

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apiary start-up questions

>>1. what are some ideas for providing a water source for the bees? all references seem kinda vague. <<

Is there a pond within 1/2 mile or so?
If not, you could put out a dish with gravel and rocks, clean one's a week.

I have a pond but also have another water source.
Photobucket

You don't need full sun, I know somebody with hives in the middle of poplar trees, bees climb straight up over the trees.
But..I still like my bees out in the sun, find I have less mould or moisture problem this way.
You can fence it in, give enough room so you can work the hives, I would think 5 yards around the hives or so, perhaps that you can drive in with a cart or lawn tractor as I do, [have no fence] this way you can load the full honey super into the cart.

Konrad

o
RE: apiary start-up questions

A small garden pond is another great way to provide water. Just add some floating plants for them to stand on.
Or you could use something like a poultry waterer with a drop of chlorine or vanilla added to give a scent to attract the bees there
I agree sun prevents many problems,but getting sun early gets the bees out foraging sooner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here