Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloomville

Things We Can Do To Protect & Help Our Bee Friends

bloomville
17 years ago

Under the discussion of Colony Collapse Disorder, someone asked, "What can we do?"--what can we do to protect and help the honeybees and other pollinators in this worrisome time? Well, how about starting a thread to talk about that--and hopefully create a spark toward action? Here are some ideas to get the ball rolling...

We can stop using pesticides and help others understand the dangers of pesticides, for bee health, human health, ecosystem health.

As people who love and know about bees, we can gently educate our friends, neighbors, and family members about the wonders of honeybees, and their importance to our ecosystem and food systems.

We can support environmental protection by volunteering or donating to local environmental protection organizations and efforts.

We can hold our local, state, and federal politicians accountable to us when it comes time to vote on bills with relevance to the health of our environment.

We can keep bees and explore more organic methods of beekeeping that support strong bee colonies that are not dependent on antibiotics to survive. (There's a lot of exciting stuff happening in this area, as a quick Google search will reveal. It's pretty eye-opening to realize how many different approaches and ideas are out there.)

We can support local, organic (or low-impact) agriculture that manages farmland with respectful, environmentally friendly practices.

We can respectfully invite our fellow beekeepers to reconsider some of the "standard practices" that may be weakening the honeybee over time.

We can write editorials and letters to our local newspapers requesting that they increase coverage of environmental issues, including the problems various pollinators are facing.

What else??? :)

Comments (10)

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I don't use pesticides or any type of chemical fertilizers. My garden is o'natural :-)

Me thinks I'll start by building a few Mason bee nesters.

• thisbud4u
    17 years ago

Given the scope of the problem, Colony Collapse is probably not caused by pesticides. It is spreading way too fast, and spreading in areas where few pesticides are used. As far as anyone knows, there is no new pesticide that is universally used across America which has the power to decimate bee populations. Sorry, but it looks like this is the result of a pathogen.

Given the likelihood that the causal agent is a pathogen, we beekeepers can do much to prevent the spread of the disease, but it requires an entirely different approach to beekeeping. When I worked in a laboratory, we practiced something called "sterile technique" which is a fancy term for being mindful not to spread a disease organism from one petri dish to another. Similarly, we are going to have to learn to disinfect our bee equipment before we travel with it. From the data I'm seeing, it looks as if beekeepers are spreading this disease by sharing hive boxes and/or bee equipment. I realize that this makes beekeeping much more difficult and time-consuming, but if we don't do this, we'll all be out of business.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    17 years ago

"Given the scope of the problem, Colony Collapse is probably not caused by pesticides."

I would agree it is probably not from *applied* pesticides, but I wouldn't rule out genetically modified plants with spliced in pesticides. That could spread, quite literally, like the wind and I certainly would not trust the splicers to reveal or even know the extent of its impact.

I, too, agree that sanitary measures need to be brought to the forefront as basic hive care until, at the very least, it is determined whats causing the bees to disappear.

tj

• bloomville
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The causes of CCD may well turn out to involve pesticides, GMO crops, or the general, well documented degradation of our ecosystem. Below is a quote from a news article about testimonies given before the House Agriculture Committee re. Colony Collapse Disorder:

"Testifying in front of the committee this morning, Caird E. Rexroad, from the Agricultural Research Service, said that although his agency has a variety of theories as to what might be causing CCD, it believes stress on the bees might be the major motive.

"We believe that some form of stress may be suppressing immune systems of bees, ultimately contributing to CCD." The main four types of stresses that Rexroad identified were migratory stresses, mites, pathogens and pesticides.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

What about loss of wildflowers as well? People grow a lot of plants that no long provide pollen sources, too. I agree with all the above reasons mentioned, but am wondering if it is a combination of all of these things. I am not a beekeeper, but neither did I notice a decline in honeybees in my garden last year. I have begun providing more native plant species in my garden, and plants that are attractive to butterflies and moths, which in turn means bees love the plants, too. I had tons of them all over the garden last year. Had not noticed as many in past years.

I read one article that quoted Albert Einstein as saying that if we lose our bee population, the human population would disappear shortly thereafter (paraphrasing).

I garden with no pesticides; I'm not close to agriculture communities that grow genetically altered food crops or anything. I was surprised, though, that during our severe drought last year, the bees were numerous. So, I don't know if drought or weather changes are affecting the bees or not. I'm just giving you my personal observations. I did not notice a hive around anywhere, so I don't know where they were coming from.

I am concerned, though, as just a city gardener, about the decline in population, as we all should be IMHO. We have just messed with Mother Nature to the point we have destroyed the bounty she offered us. This includes a lot of our insects, like the bees, butterflies, and moths, all of which are pollinators. People kill the hornworms on their tomatos, yet what do they think pollinates their okra, squash, and flowers? Sphinx moths, which is what the hornworms are. I've suggested that a lot of people who grow tomatoes grow some they don't consider their "best", and move the hornworms to those plants.

I'm thinking I may put out some mason bee hives as well!

I thank you all for the good work you are doing here!

Susan

• WestEnder
    17 years ago

As gardeners, maybe we can plant more native flowers to support wild bees. A recent San Francisco Chronicle news article articulated the difference between wild native bees and imported honeybees, and gave a lot of useful information about groups and individuals that are working to protect our wild native bees. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bees on Their Knees, Gardeners to the Rescue

• mamamia
    17 years ago

I have a ton of California natives in my yard and noticed alot of bees through fall and early winter. Not so many now. Hopefully, things will pick up.

• mamamia
    17 years ago

I don't think it's pesticides because they have been around for a long time. I'm no expert by any means, but I think that the genetically modified stuff may be playing a role. When I go to the grocery store and see stuff labeled "no pesticide residue", that does not mean it is organic. What I'm afraid it means is that the pesticide is somehow spliced into the fruit or something. Anyone know?

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

I wonder if it is related to the growing number of frog species becoming extinct, they claim it's got something to do with an almost invisible fungus that makes it so the frogs can't breathe. They say that when the hives of the CCD are examined, supposedly the honey is untouched- by the bees or other predators that eat honey. I wonder if it has to do with some fungus in the honey?

• onafixedincome
    17 years ago

I've been watching my locust tree each year with grave misgivings...ten years or more ago, this time of year when it bloomed meant a steady drone--honeybees diving in and out of the flowers, moving from tree to my flowering plants and back again.

The locust has been virtually silent for nearly five years now. Butterflies aren't having to compete with the bees for nectar from it; there simply ARE NO BEES here, bar the occasional bumblebee.

I live in California, in Butte County--an area that relies very heavily on the honeybee for crop fertilization.

The main factor I have noted?

The spread of West Nile virus and the spraying measures taken to control the mosquitos that spread it.

Could CCD be a cumulative result of these 'harmless' sprays in the hive and colony? Genetic mutation in the bees due to them?

As an ag county, this is becoming a major topic of interest. Wildflower fans are noting that there are fewer butterflies and bees there, too.

The mosquitos don't seem to have a problem. (said with sarcasm)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville