Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are bees least active?

Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 17:54

I'm allergic to bee stings (I have an epi pen) but I do like having all sorts of flowers in my garden.
Is there a time of day when bees are least (and most) active so I can peacefully coexist with them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are bees least active?

Least..
Cool day's, early morning & late evening for honey bees, bumble's still fly in cooler temperatures but they are not harmful.
Wasp fly in cooler weather too, hopefully you don't have a nest near you.
Most..
Sunny warm hot day's.
In the garden when bees are left alone you should be fine.
Konrad

o

I am allergic as well and have an active beehive that adopted me last year. It has split off with a queen once that was sighted. With all this activity I have yet to get one upset enough to sting me ( bee sacrifice their life and die). But I garden like 'RAMBO' and I understand that when bee's are busy, they usually give a warning letting you know they are there.
The one impossible area for me to garden in is the HERB garden. Forget about it! The bee's are nuts for rosemary,oregano and the fruit blossoms from trees. I bought a head flashlight ( Home Improvment store) and can safely do a quick weeding while the sun goes down and they call are calling it a day. Always wear gloves and if your not sure, just take a garden stake and give the plants a light tap,and the honey bee will emerge if they are still present. Just keep in mind, the bee lets you know that he wants you out of his way by buzzing close by. They usually don't go further then that. Having a hive I did have a drone that was kicked out of the hive or something. Drones don't have a job outside of the hive, so this drone would just fly about near the patio and dive bomb me! I would run and the dogs would bark, it was here at this site I learned it was a drone, no stinger, and it happens sometimes.

o

If it was a drone honeybee,they have no way of stinging. Their job outside the hive is to mate with virgin queens.
As long as bees are foraging and not in need to defend the hive ,you should be okay.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 15:41

I think there are wasps that like to make nests in spots like under the kid's slide, in trash can handles ....aside from spraying, is there any way to discourage them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here