Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louie_gardner

African bees truly a threat to bee keepers in Florida?

louie_gardner
17 years ago

Hello

I recently moved to Florida and love honey thus wanted to try bee keeping.

I want to do it as hobby as work during the day and was thinking of one hive with an Italian queen bee and workers.

I have read sites (just ordered a book) . Anyone keep bees in Florida any suggestions,ideas?

I see its not as easy as I thought by reading these posts seems lots die offs,etc . The African bee thing does concern me if its a reality.

Thank you

Louie

Comments (3)

• tonybeeguy
    17 years ago

Louie, Yes the African bee thing is real. As I mentioned to someone else, find a local beekeeping organization. You might have luck through backyardbeekeepers.com and clicking on "find a club" Most beekeepers are willing and eager to share what they know with people interested in getting started. Talk to locals, join a club, and read some good beekeeping books such as Richard Bonney's "Beekeeping" or "Hive Management" or Kim Flottum's "The Backyard Beekeeper" Don't be discouraged by everything you read on posts. After all, most people share their problems to see if others have solutions. Not too many people post to say everything is great. For example, last year out of five package hives I started with all new foundation, one swarmed in the early fall and produced no "extra honey" One hive drew out the frames and built up enough stores to get itself through the winter, which is considered okay. The other three hives took off like a house afire and produced 400 lbs of surplus honey, so all tales are not bad.Beekeeping these days isn't just a matter of throwing some bees in a box and going back to get honey. It takes perserverence and hard work and some good fortune, but if you love your bees, the work doesn't seem so hard. Believe me there is nothing like the sweet smell of a happy hive when you open it, or the taste of fresh honey dripping from the honeycomb!

• louie_gardner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I ordered a book which should have this week I am going to search tonight for any area bee keepers to get info from them.
    I intend to have just one hive as just wanted it as a hobby since I like honey . I will probably start building it this weekend after getting more info hopefully from local bee keepers.
    Thanks

Louie

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

Louie -

One suggestion - you might be able to start your hobby by calling a local bee exterminator (look in the yellow pages). Sometimes they will sell a starter brood box complete with queen and small nucleus for a fairly reasonable price.

Most bee hive boxes are made according to the Dadent formula, which has proven to be quite successful to bee handlers. The large boxes can become quite heavy, especially laden with honey, frames and bees, so perhaps a word for you-to use the smaller size boxes, as time goes on, they are easier to manage.

If you are buying some books - they will give you pictures of how the hive boxes are assembled.

Good luck - and have fun. These little creatures really help your garden by pollinating even if honey isn't an issue.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Sponsored