Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robber bees

Posted by iammarcus 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 22:48

My hive was hit by robber bees who took everything except the Queen and a few house bees. Someone said that when the situation is hopeless the field bees will abandon the hive and join the stronger hive. My Queen was racing around over the empty cells without any attendants. Is there anything I could have done to save the Queen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robber bees

Your hive couldn't defend it due to low population, perhaps lots of bees died off, and or you have entrance reducer not set to a minimum opening.

o

I just had the same thing happen to a hive i started from a cutout about a month ago. But I was able to capture the queen in a clip, then add two top bars of honey and two bars of capped brood with nurse bees on the combs from another hive. The bees on the combs accepted the caged queen, and all seems to be well. I just saw some bees taking their first flights from that hive today, and the queen bee was running around doing what queen bees do.

TxBeek

o

I'm surprised they didn’t kill the queen. Robbing is hard to stop. Once it gets started its hard to stop. Early measures to control it is to put on a robber screen and close off the upper entrance. Most of the time you have a bigger hive in your yard that’s causing the problem. Take off the cover on all your hives and smoke them down. This will force them to go home and defend their hive. If you feed honeybee healthy. This stuff will ring the dinner bell. Its better to feed dry sugar if you have to feed.

o

I'm surprised they didn’t kill the queen. Robbing is hard to stop. Once it gets started its hard to stop. Early measures to control it is to put on a robber screen and close off the upper entrance. Most of the time you have a bigger hive in your yard that’s causing the problem. Take off the cover on all your hives and smoke them down. This will force them to go home and defend their hive. If you feed honeybee healthy. This stuff will ring the dinner bell. Its better to feed dry sugar if you have to feed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here