Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julysun

How many bees needed

julysun
12 years ago

I ordered 3 lbs of Bees plus a queen. I received them but half were dead. Maybe more. I fed them sugar water with a spray, also with a front hive feeder and Dadant food patties on top of the frames. This is a new box, all new foundation. Will such a small swarm survive with much feeding or should I order more bees?

Comments (6)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

It should work if you have a queen and she lay's.
    Keep the hive small ...perhaps put some insulation on the sides to make less room, take out a couple of frames first and replace with Styrofoam or other stuff. This will keep the heat concentrated in the center where the queen lay's, brood need not to be chilled.
    Expend room as needed when new bees emerge.
    You should be seeing eggs now, anywhere from day one up to a week, if you do, then you should be fine.

• julysun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, they did't stick, swarmed twice, that for just a double hand full of bees. Any way' will drive to the supplier Sat the 14th for a new 3 lb package, for free, nice!.
    I also received a 3 lb package of Russian bees overnite air freight from CA without ANY loss. Beautiful HUNGRY bees. They went after the food patty on their top bars like hungry kids, settled down real well and are looking good.
    On another note I have ordered another package from CA and will install them in a new top bar hive, my first.
    Also, better than smoke is a spray bottle of sugar water (1 to 1). Spray that on angry bees and they settle down quick! Any angry bees. It is also a way to feed hungry bees in the shipping package during the install process.
    I use food patties on new hives and a front entry liquid feeder as they need it while drawing new comb.
    Comments are very welcome!

• ncdirtdigger
    12 years ago

I recently added two hives to my back yard. I installed a 3# package in each. Then about a week later, I had a swarm on the side of my house which I sprayed with sugar water and captured. I put them in a spare hive box. I have been feeding the packaged bees with a front end feeder but I only have two feeders so the swarm hive was fed with a ziplock baggie filled with sugar water and placed on the top of the frames (I made a little 2" deep mini super to make space for the baggie feeder). The swarm hive seems to be doing just as well as the package bees. But what I find the most interesting is that I didn't get all the bees off the side of my house when I retrieved the swarm as some were flying about. It's been 3 weeks since I captured the swarm (and apparently the queen because I have new brood in the hive) and yet those few bees that were left on the side of the house have found an opening behind my electric meter and seem to have started a hive in my wall. I would have thought that without a queen they would have died off by now. It appears I may be cutting a hole in my sheetrock soon to remove the hive.

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

This sounds like you guy's got some shi - tty packages with a lousy or multiple queens. Or is it too much of that sugar water?
    Or is it the bee keeper?
    I never had problems with packages.

• julysun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Konrad...You seem a little upset here, can we help you any way?

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

LOL...I'm fine, I'm sorry you got upset,..just trying to pin point your problem,..still, I'm guessing you should ease off on that sugar water, especially with a small amount of bees you can easy kill allot of bees.

Sponsored