Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Water & honeybees

maifleur01
13 years ago

I need to know how much harm I am doing if any. I took a short cut this year and purchased a Burpee wicked seed growing tray. I originally was going to fill with distilled water with 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach. I ran out of the distilled water and ended up using another gallon of regular water. I then placed the tray inside my plastic greenhouse intending on moving it the next day. After a couple of days of rain I checked on it and discovered that the water was steaming. I started to lift and dump it and found that between 50-75 honeybees emerged from the tray holding the water.

I have never heard that bees liked warm water much less water warm enough that you could see steam coming from it. I have left it there since bees are still apparently drinking from the tray. My question, I think, are the bees coming for the warm/hot water, the chlorine bleach, and/or is it harmful to the bees to have access to the tray.

I normally have plastic cement mixing trays filled with water in my yard for whatever animal or bird that needs a drink but except when it has been over 100F the water is rarely warm much less hot.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm