Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2bret

Neighbor put hive in backyard

mom2bret
9 years ago

Hi

I'm not a beekeeper, and neither is my neighbor, but they decided to till up their whole backyard for a garden and put a beehive there. Which is all well and good, we have lots of bees around during the summer (Illinois) anyway. But they did it so they don't have to mow around it too. Well they have it sitting about 10 feet from my yard where we DO have to mow. I have been reading up on it and I hear mixed opinions of beehives and mowing. Any thoughts? How safe to mow that near a hive? Some say to wear a bee suit to be on the safe side but that's not an option. Also my 14 year old will be mowing for the first time this year, any advise on what to do if they do get cranky and come after him? I mean I would say run for the house, but, anything else?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Comments (10)

• lucillle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If that happened to me I would have two concerns: the type of bee (aren't some of them aggressive, the African ones?)
    plus I would be concerned for the bee's well bee-ing because I will occasionally put down insecticide if I see a fire ant problem.

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

I am a former beekeeper of 65 hives. Hopefully the nice approach will work at getting the bees relocated to a more suitable place. As a former beekeeper I have no patience with what your neighbor has done. These people will be your neighbors long after this matter is settled. Try nice first and if that doesn't work take whatever legal recourse you can. Bees although rare can cause a persons death especially if they are allergic or just from to many stings. You never know if the bees have been bumped right before getting close to them. In some cases a large amount of worker bees will attack anything moving if recently disturbed. It is totally inappropriate putting them in your harms way.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

One of my neighbors kept bees along the east side of our border (morning sun, afternoon shade for them) and aside from hearing the hives all afternoon they were not noticed.

In an enclosed back yard, they should not even notice that you are mowing on the other side of the fence.,

• birdiewi
    9 years ago

I had bees in my backyard where I lived before. I had a fenced in backyard and there was a privacy fence between me and the neighbors closest to the bees. There were no problems. Maybe a few privacy fence panels would help you feel safer?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

As the daughter of a bee keeper (we had 300-400 hives depending) I hated it when he would bring home a few spares. As long as they stay friendly it is really not an issue. But, once an inexperienced person gets in over their head with bees, they are going to start swarming. And that is where the trouble starts, once they are in trees, walls etc it is hard to replace out mean queens with friendly ones.

I would try and nicely ask them to move the hive to face their home and away from the property lines. Maybe having the bees face them will help with the idea that bee keeping is not like having a bunch of lady bugs in your garden.

• ray4852
    9 years ago

I keep honey bees too. Bee hives can be a problem if you get to close to their hive. Its natures way for them to protect their home. What you have to do is protect yourself from bee stings when you get to close to their hive. Make sure you have a veil on when you cut the grass. Its bad getting stung in the face. Not all hives are defensive. I would never put my hives around a neighborhood with a lot of people. Bee hives belong out in the country. I love my bees but I respect other people feeling about them. A lot of people Don t like bees.

• flyin_lowe
    9 years ago

A good friend of mine has two bee hives and as a favor I mowed his property for him one summer. I was on a large zero turn mower and would mow within a foot of the hives and never had one problem. So if there is any distance at all I would not be concerned. Of course if you are allergic then you should speak with him.

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

Just because one is not currently allergic to bees, does not mean they will always be.

My allergy developed because of being stung multiple times when I was a young teen and stepped in a wasp nest. I was hospitalized just over night that time, and warned that in the future, I might develop an allergy... which I did, and each sting over the years that allergy might get worse ... which it has.

I'm sixty five years old now and this is one complication in life I really wish I could have avoided. A sting is life threatening now, time consuming with days lost to being sick, and expensive. Prevention really is worth the effort and consideration. It's all going to depend on how each persons immune system reacts.

I'm still on this side of the grass though, so all's good. :)

• tracey_nj6
    9 years ago

Whoa, they know nothing about bees but have a hive? And no fence and/or so close to your yard? I realize this post is a few months old; how have things worked out?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County