photo) it's more like sandstone. When I first saw this
site in February, it was mysterious. A couple of days ago I went back
and it was swarming with bees. Okay, I thought, the bees
dug the holes...but in rock? Any light shed on this would
be welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesa Verde for bees

I posted this on the other post you commented in but here it is again. That picture looks like they just adopted the holes those holes were probably formed from a river long ago or something of that nature. you didn't take a picture of the bees so i can't tell you if they were mason bees or leaf cutter bees or if they were a more aggressive variety.
If you are interested about raising gentle bees or mason bees please visit my youtube channel i have a little info on how to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden Mason beekeeping

o

The holes seem to me to be too evenly spaced and too uniform in size to have resulted from a geological process. They are the kind of feature you would expect to have been created by agents influenced by their neighbors. And there's another similar outcrop nearby with no holes whatsoever. I should have examined the holes more carefully back in February when all was quiet! These bees were flying around furiously and noisily. I didn't want to get close.

o

The holes seem to me to be too evenly spaced and too uniform in size to have resulted from a geological process. They are the kind of feature you would expect to have been created by agents influenced by their neighbors. And there's another similar outcrop nearby with no holes whatsoever. I should have examined the holes more carefully back in February when all was quiet! These bees were flying around furiously and noisily. I didn't want to get close.

o

If it's a soft rock - mudstone or other basically packed dirt kind of rock, they can chew into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here