Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats going on?

Posted by jim23 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 10:14

For about 3 years a colony of honey bees have been living in an old dead hollow tree. About 1 week ago a large number descended from the tree and "rested" nearer the ground, alarmed at the number of them. after about 24 hr. the large group that come down swarmed off. Now another group has come down from the tree. These bees don't bother me but they wind up in the strangest places, this group have rested on front deck.

My mother inlaw suggested we get into the bees for the honey,even mentioned getting some hives. Anybody got any suggestions I may be interested in getting into this new hobby. I'm also sure of the fact these are honey bees we have because there is a oozing of honey from the tree, up too high to reach.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats going on?

You are seeing the natural method of honey bee reproduction, swarming. When the bees are prosperous, they begin to crowd the existing hive. When that happens, they make queen cells, called swarm cells. The old queen then takes part of the hive and swarms, i.e. leaves the existing hive and finds a new place to establish. These swarms often cluster near the hive while scouts seek a new location. Once the scouts have found a suitable home, the entire swarm moves in. It may be as much as 2 miles away, or just a few yards. 1/4 mile or more is typical. These swarms are usually gentle and can be placed in a hive body to make a new beehive. They may or may not stay in the hive body however, but many do. The additional swarms are called after swarms. They are usually smaller and contain a new virgin queen instead of the old mated queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beesource Forums

o

Here are directions if you want to make a bee skep!

http://members.aol.com/ljludes/BeeSkep.html

o

"My mother inlaw suggested we get into the bees for the honey,even mentioned getting some hives. Anybody got any suggestions I may be interested in getting into this new hobby"

Warning;

Beekeeping can bee verry adctive!!

If you think you maybee interested look around your area and see if there is a local club JOIN and see if they have classes or if there are people that are willing to mentror you it is a great hobby but you can get BIT by the bug.

o

"Here are directions if you want to make a bee skep!"

Keeping bees in SKEP is NOT legal!!!

o

YES, look into beekeeping. It is an interesting and rewarding hobby,though not without work. Look for a local club or mentor. Check out online for nearest supply house and read some good books(Richard Bonneys BEEKEEPING A PRACTICAL GUIDE and HIVE MANAGEMENT are two great books that will get you through the first year in good shape. Some companies are Betterbee, Brushy Mountain,and Dadant. You may still be able to order a package of bees. A friend had 2 hives in my yard a few years ago and I caught the bug. I intended to have one or 2 of my own last year but ended up setting up five, then someone gave me a nuc and swarm and I ordered more bees this year so I will have around 10 hives. I haven't looked back and I'm loving it. good luck! Tony

o

Why isn't it legal to keep bees in a bee skep, is it a federal law or something??

o

"Why isn't it legal to keep bees in a bee skep, is it a federal law or something??"

Yes mosst states have inspectors and the hive MUST have removeable frames so the inspector can check the hive for disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here