Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Killer bees

marilyn_c
12 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I tied my dog on the front porch, and went back in the house. A few minutes later, I heard her yelping and I rushed out to see bees swarming everywhere, all around her, stinging her, all over the porch. I tried to unsnap the leash but due to a broken wrist, I couldn't do it quickly. I came in the house, first thing I saw was a pair of scissors and went back out and tried to cut the leash. It wouldn't cut the leash. About that time, my husband drove up, and tossed me a knife, and I cut the leash and she ran off. (I didn't find her until the next day...she was almost dead but the vet saved her). I was stung at least 30 times and my husband, about a dozen. We went in the back door, and they followed us into the house, still stinging us. We had about 100 bees in the house with us, and we went from room to room, trying to get away from them. My husband remembered we had a propane mosquito fogger and we were able to fight them out of the house and off the porch. They gathered in a swarm in a small tree in the yard and we burned them.

I had no reaction to the bees. My husband didn't at first, but had hives a couple of days later and itching at the sting sites.

I live in the country and have no fear of bees or wasps. I am stung several times a year by wasps. I don't ever tear down their nests. They don't bother me. When I find out where they are...I go around them. When bees fall in the water troughs, I pick them up with my bare hands. (I learned not to do that with wasps...but I will let them crawl out on a stick).

I know the good that bees do and while I don't want to raise them, I like seeing them in the flowers and vegetables that I raise.

I am sure however, that these were killer bees. There is an abandoned house down the road from me about 2/10 of a mile. Bees have been in the walls of the house for years and I think they may have crossed with killer bees. Who would be a good person to contact to have them removed? Would the health department do it? I contacted the owner of the house who lives in Houston, but I don't think she will do anything. She is elderly but she does have money, so she could afford to pay someone.

Even though we had no reaction to the bees, except a slight reaction my husband had a couple of days later, getting stung so many times, does that make us more likely to have a reaction the next time? I am nervous now about using the lawn mower or mowing the pasture with the tractor because I know they will often come after someone mowing. I don't want to walk in the woods any more, afraid I will run into a swarm and I won't be able to get away from them. I am in my mid 60's and I can't run...and anyway, have read that killer bees might chase you a quarter of a mile.

Sorry this is long...just mainly want to know if we will be more apt to have a severe reaction if we are in this situation again....and who should I contact to kill the bees in the old house?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville