Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brdldystlu

attracting bees

brdldystlu
19 years ago

Hello all, I have troubles in my veggie gardens trying to get stuff to set on because of low population of bees. All of the neighbors have worked hard to get rid of their clover, I like the little white flowers so I have it in a few areas of my yard. But I just don't have many bee's around. I was thinking about what can I set out to attract them to the garden. I have a big jar of honey, was wondering if I put drops of that out in the garden would the bees come and eat it? Do I need to thin it with water?

Thank you

Sandy

Comments (5)

• txbeeguy
    19 years ago

Hi Sandy!
    If you put out drops of honey, flying pollinators will eventually find it (no doubt about it!)... but likely, so will ants...
    Since I see you like garden junk, you might try feeding hummingbirds. They also pollinate and bees/wasps tend to make visits to their feeders too.
    If you have the space (and the inclination), you could also try inviting a beekeeper to set up a hive or two in your neighborhood - that'll get you some *serious* pollinating accomplished!

• ccrb1
    18 years ago

the feral population of honeybees is at an all time low. Sandy, have you considered a garden hive?

• brdldystlu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't think at this time a hive would be a good thing. I don't think I need another thing to take care of, but I might check into it a bit and see what I can find out aobut them. How do I go about finding a local person that might be willing to teach me about them, or would come and set one up here.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Sandy

• ccrb1
    18 years ago

On going maintenance for a hive is about an hour every two weeks. The big work is building it, stocking it in the spring... and then harvesting in the fall.

Try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Beekeeping Org

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

brdldylstlu -

One of the best ways to attract bees is to plant the flowers that they are attracted to. I planted some borage - which can become quite a pest if it likes the area, and reseeds profusely. The bees love it.

However, the best ways I've found is to avoid use of pesticides - and they will find you.

My present colony was a volunteer swarm that happened to like my apricot tree. I looked into the yellow pages to find a "bee man" and he brushed them off the tree and into an old hive (I had one empty just laying around from previous years.) I had some bees - as a beginner from another location.

They really were quite happy here - and I notice all of my trees and berry bushes seem well-pollinated.

Last week, we had a Santa Ana (hot desert winds) that brought in a lot of painted lady butterflies - and from that time on, I seem to notice a lot fewer bees on the plants. Whether this caused them to swarm or not, I'm not too sure. We are also experiencing a lot of noise from frantic building in our area - which may or may not be contributing.

Anyway, yesterday, I donned my "suit and veil" and opened the hive. Actually, it seemed to be "business as usual" but I am at a loss as to why they are not flying in the yard.

You might try the library for books on beekeeping, if you are interested. I have two books - One is "First Lessons in Beekeeping" by Dadant, and the other is "Practical Beekeeping" by Garden Ways. Both are very good although perhaps others would have more up-to-date information.

This forum is also a good source of information.

Just my 2 cents. Another good plant pollinator is basil - which I try to plant near my tomatoes each year.

Bejay

Sponsored