Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding supers

Posted by huzzah (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 10:45

on my one year old colony of two deeps that are full, I added a queen excluder and three supers of frames with foundation that has not had comb drawn as of yet. Is this the best strategy?
can i expect the bees to draw comb on all three this summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding supers

I have read in George Imirie webs that you have to add a super with foundation, if they were supers with drawn comb you would be able to add three at time.
The bees will draw the foundation if they find nectar sources. If you feed you will see how fast they work.

I would read to George Imirie. Vamos, que lo voy a releer. I am going to re-read him.

o
RE: adding supers

My colony has 2 brood boxes with 2 small supers on top. The lower super is about 2/3rds full. They have yet to draw comb on the top one.

This hive is about a year old and was started from a single swarm cluster that happened to land in my back yard.

As the colony had to start from scratch, so to speak, I can't comment on how fast it would take a full hive to fill 3 supers, but feel that 2 probably would be sufficient.

You will probably be inspecting the hive from time to time, and if it looks as if they are able to fill out the supers faster, then more could be added then.

In my opinion, if supers are added too fast, the bees won't be able to keep up anyway. When the top super looks about half full of honey, then I would add another at that time.

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here