Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paper wasps in cavity nest over back door

Posted by annqueue 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 11:25

Howdy all,
if this isn't an appropriate place for this pardon me, I'm new here. Just let me know and I'll be happy to post appropriately.

We appear to have a paper wasp nest inside the eaves over our back door. They are definitely not bees, yellow jackets, or mud daubers. If it were elsewhere in the yard I'd probably just leave it, but over the back door... that's tough to live with.

They've been flying inside a light fixture that's missing its cover... they got up inside one of the screw holes on the fixture. We taped up that hole one evening and heard buzzing but saw no escapees. I've seen no escapees since but haven't taken a whole lot of time to observe yet.

So my questions are... will they starve/dehydrate in there? How long will that take? We had a new roof put on literally two days before we taped up the hole, but will they still just find a different exit and continue nest building? (This is a 1960 house in decent shape)

I need to check on some things in the attic but don't dare go in there at the moment... any advice welcome. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paper wasps in cavity nest over back door

When wasps build nests where we don't want them, we spray the nest with water. The reason wasps build nest under eaves and porches (and light fixtures) is because these places are sheltered. If they keep getting wet, they'll abandon the nest and find a more suitable place. I don't know a lot about light fixtures, but can imagine that where the wires are, they will crawl through those small spaces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here