Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Queen on Short Notice

Posted by rlhicks 7b Commerce GA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 11:28

On Friday (Apr 8) I removed a feral colony along with several chunks of brood from an old house that was being torn down. I'm 90% sure I don't have the queen. Walter Kelly and Purvis Apiaries are booked up for the immediate future. Does anyone know where to get a queen on short notice. I prefer a Russian, but at the moment I'm not too picky.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Queen on Short Notice

Won't a colony make itself a new queen? one of the many chemicals that Queens emit is one that supresses the maturation of new queens isn't it, then the first one to emerg stabs all the others to death, thats how I always learned it anyways.

o
RE: Need Queen on Short Notice

hmmmmm. how about adding the bees to one of you current queen right hives. after they have all mixed together for a few days. make a split. take a frame of newly laid eggs, a few that have been capped is a clue along with a frame of honey. just be sure you dont get the queen. in a few weeks they will have made themselves an new queen.
david

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here