Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native bees? What is this one?

Posted by lilhouseonprairie 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 11:38

Just really getting into native bees. I want to attract more; but the good news is that I've spotted at least 5 different types. In my picture there are also Italians from hives.

I've identified Agapostemon and Collette bees. Saw plenty of these lovelies last summer on Sunflowers, squash blossoms, and in my sad neglected honeysuckle (it was here when I moved in!)

This very fuzzy bee was all over my Russian Sage. Aside from the big orange stripe across it's middle, I don't really know how to identify it. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native bees? What is this one?

Here's a Collete. Lower left corner. Again with some Italians.

This post was edited by lilhouseonprairie on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 11:41

o

Here's an Agapostemon. :)

o

Can you zoom in or macro shots,..hard to see.

o

I've read of some bee with "rust" in it's common name that has a band like the one in your photo. Check with "The Xerces Society." They have information about many native bees in need of conservation, and that rust colored one has been disappearing very rapidly.

Martha

o

I wish I could zoom, sorry! I didn't catch a good focused shot and this is from last Summer. I'll add the other two shots I snapped!

o

Here's the other one. Focus was awful!

o

Thanks Martha, I'll look into that!

o

That second last is a bumble bee.

In your second picture, no Italian, both are native bees.

o

Konrad--
The bee on the Russian sage (all 3 pics) is the same bee. Bumblebee? I looked at some Google images and at first wasn't sure but found some species with that orange stripe. Yay! Now to learn how to get them to set up shop!

o

Yes..all bumbles. They come in various sizes and color, yours is probably similar to this.

May 16, 2012 photo IMG_5040.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here