Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcb500

Where to place super?

jcb500
13 years ago

Hi,

I have single hive, about 1 year old. The bees have started to cluster around entrance. I would like to put another super on, where should it go, on top or bottom? This hive has two deep supers now.

Thanks

Joe, 30 miles North East of Albany NY.

Comments (8)

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

OK.. if you say two deep supers, this would mean honey super, right?
    if so, then you can place it on top or under, just above brood.
    If you say single, in bee keepers term this would mean one only box
    [single] hive, here, we usually go with two [deep] boxes of brood, after
    that I put on queen excluder and then honey super.
    I don't think I understand what you mean exactly.

Konrad

• jcb500
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Konrad, thanks for reply. My question was very vague. I still don't understand the bee keeper terms, I Was given a Complete Beemax Beginnerer's Kit from Betterbee in Greenwich NY, it came w/ a book but I cannot seem to get the answers I need from it.

I purchased a 3 lb package of live bees in late September,
    I put the bees into one deep super put the lid on and let it be, they seemed happy and was instructed to place another super on at the end of October. I did that and left
    it alone until spring. I checked the about 3 weeks ago, on a real warm day, they seemed OK.

So now I have two deep supers full of bees, and honey and Brood(Babies I think?) The bees are starting to cluster outside the boxes near the opening, and I think they may beginning to swarm. So in order to keep them They need more room, right?
    With the kit, I have two medium supers(Sitting in the shed unused) I can put them where? Under the two deep supers or on top of the two deep supers?
    I tried calling Betterbee, but I didn't have enough minutes on the cell phone to wait for next available person.

If i send you my cell no. can I ask you some questions?

Regards
    Joe

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

OK Joe,
    You have now two brood boxes full of bees and you should put up
    honey super on top, but put a queen excluder on top of the two boxes
    first, [on top of the frames] then super on top of that,...if you don't want
    brood up there in the honey super, I prefer this. When bees have filled
    your honey super 3/4 full, put another under this one, or on top,
    never take honey out of the two brood boxes below, this is for the winter.
    To get quick answers, go to beesource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Source

• jcb500
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much!!!! My patience got the best of me and I placed a super under the two brood boxes.
    Should I leave it there? I did this on Sunday, 5/2.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Oh my...then the queen might have brood, maybe not.
    In any case, take it out and put to the top, bee exluder first...bees like to go up, but make sure the queen is not in
    this box.

• beekeeper961
    13 years ago

Ok so you have to two brood boxes, deep supers, and you want to add a super. For one thing bees gathering at the entrance of the hive does not mean they need a super. They do that during hot weather naturally. The way you can tell when you need a super is when the bees are two frames away from the outside. I would try to get with a local beekeeper to help. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex

• richardr_grower
    13 years ago

I have a similar concern as Joe. I have a put my new package of bees in new equipment.(one deep hive body) When the comb was about 4/5 drawn and queen laying...good pattern of brood; i added a shallow super...no queen excluder....on top of the hive body. It is May 31 and seems to be a good flow...Am I ok with this configuration or should I have used another deep? and what configuration will i leave for the winter? I like the idea of not using an excluder but what will i need to be aware of?

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Check with your loca lbee keeper to see what is the norm on brood box, here we have two deep.
    Some bee keepers don't want to use exluders, I use them, have never
    problems bees not going up, a strong hive will go up, not heaving
    brood in honey super is nice.
    Konrad

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH