Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oberhasli1

Problems with our bees

oberhasli1
14 years ago

We live at a high elevation (7800ft) on ten acres of land. Our bee hive is in the front of our yard and it has been established for 9 years or so. We don't usually get any wild flowers blooming until May, so it is a hard place for our bees to forage. It has been warm for the past couple of days and our bees have been out and about. I put out sugar water for them knowing there is nothing available for them to forgage. Our barn is in the back part of our property and the bees have been going in the barn and swarming all over our guinea's food (pelleted stuff that looks like bran cereal). They are also gathering up in the sky lights in the barn and then they won't come down. It still gets in the low 30's at night here. Most of them die up in the sky lights because it gets too cold at night. I have never had this problem with them going in the barn. They have also been flying in the bird feeders. We have water available around the farm for them and they have eaten some of the sugar water I put out for them.

Does anyone have a clue as to why they are congregating in my barn? We had a good year last year with it being green and lush here all summer. I'm sure their population multiplied with the good summer we had last year. Usually it is not that nice. It sometimes borders on drought conditions.

I can't close the barn to keep them out, but I hate to see them dying up in the sky lights or swarming the food. Any thoughts? I usually hang out on the farm life forum, but lurk on this one :-).

Thanks,

Bonnie

Comments (22)

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

Is there any sweet feed mixed in with the guineas food?

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, there is only the flock raiser crumbles out for the guineas. I finally picked up the pan that has the food, hoping the bees would leave. They seem to roll around in it but I never see them carrying any off. The weather is supposed to turn cold again tomorrow so maybe they will leave. I checked the hive this morning and they were drinking the sugar water I made for them - but, the vast majority is in my barn.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

At this time of the year when pollen is not available or very sparse, bees
    go into feed, saw dust, bird food etc. looking for substitute.
    I would try give them pollen patty until pollen is readily available.
    Sky lights can really trap bees, can you cover it, darken for a few weeks
    until there is food source outside?
    Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm a little too old to be climbing up on the top of our tall barn I'm afraid. But, I have designed a brush/broom sort of thing to reach up and sweep them down a couple of times a day.

As for the pollen patty. How do you make it? The only place I know to get pollen is at a health food store and it is usually in very small expensive packets. Is that what you use?

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

I have made some patties at one time, now I collect pollen during the flow and can feed some back when needed,.. so far didn't.
    You can Google for recipe,... below is one.

You'll find out that not too many bees you'll get outside with your broom, a bee vacuum would work better, bees fly back to the light and lots will die.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollen patties

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the recipe link. I haven't had any more problems for the past few days because we had more snow and they are all back in the hive. I did pretty well with the broom because the bees were pretty sluggish from the cold and I carefully swept them into a bucket and brought them back to the front of the hive where they crawled back in. I did lose some from the cold, but I recaptured quite a lot.

I will make a pollen patty to have on hand when it warms up again. We won't have any wild flowers out here until May, so I will be prepared.

• bsweetapiary
    14 years ago

Hello, if you have the makins for a pollen patty now, you can go ahead and make it up now and just install it on top of the frames of your top hive box, flip the inner cover upside down to allow room for the patty. as long as the temp. is in the high thirties or above and you work fast you'll be ok and won't loss to much heat. My bees fed on patties all winter when i lived on the western slope untill this past Feb. If you place the patty/patties over the cluster they can feed on it as needed and their heat will prevent it from freezing. Jim

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Good, Oberhasli!
    Today I gave a littel pollen for night time snack,... found
    out that pollen is coming in from poplar trees, [gray] and willow [yellow].
    Don't you have any trees, willow or shrub for pollen source?

Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have oodles of Ponderosa pine which have their big pollen mess in June/July. It isn't unusual to have snow in early June here. The first wild flower we have is a Pasque flower, kind of like a wild crocus, that blooms late in April or early May,but sometimes gets buried in a late snow storm. Depending on the weather, we will have an abundance of wild flowers in June/July. We also have some Aspen trees, but they don't produce much pollen. It has been a challenge having bees at this altitude as well as having years with drought with few wild flowers. Last year we had a great summer with lots of flowers.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Good!..don't you have Dandelion?
    Perhaps you could grow some Pussywillow?

Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha, my entire front yard is dandelion and I also have some flowering shrubs in the front that the bees love. But, they won't bloom until mid-June.

I made my pollen patties and installed them yesterday. When I was gathering my supplies at the health food store I bought some local (somewhat local from Northern Colorado) pollen. I was going to put it into the patties, but thought maybe I could be transferring bacteria, etc., and decided not to. I know you use your own pollen, but could that be a problem with outsider pollen. It didn't say it was treated or irradiated to kill bacteria, so I didn't want to take a chance. We have been lucky not to ever get foul brood or VM's and I don't want to jinx that. What do you think?

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Good thinking!
    Same here, would only use your own pollen, right...you never know what's in somebody else's pollen,.. perfectly fine for human consumption but not for your bees.
    When the pollen flow is on early in the season, [or late] you can put a pollen trap in one or two of your strong hives,....I did this first time last year, then you might enjoy to eat some yourself or give it back when needed. This is how mine looked...

{{gwi:428723}}

Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that's a lot. Is that just from one hive? There were fewer bees in the barn today. I still have them rolling around in the guinea food. I contemplated putting a pan of that food down by my hive, but I don't really want to attract any kind of animal or bird that would eat it. I had heard that guineas would sit on a hive and pick off the bees as they went in and out. But, watching my guineas up in the barn, they just ignore them. Probably a good thing!

Konrad, thanks for all of your help!

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

>>Wow, that's a lot. Is that just from one hive?This is only about 1 lb. From 2 hives I collected about 15 lb.
    You can sell it too, we prefer to eat it ourselves, I put a table spoon
    full in my serial in the morning, some people claim they can't be without it.
    Are you talking about guineas pigs?
    I know, our skunks do that and we have to protect the hive by mounting
    carpet tack strips in front of landing board, so when the skunk is trying to
    scratch the board, the sharp nails will make them quit.
    Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! No, not guinea pigs, guinea hens/fowl. They are natives of Africa and are good for tick, grasshopper and general bug control in a yard/farm. I just love them, but they can be quite noisy. They lay eggs as well and we eat the eggs just like chicken eggs :-) If you google guinea fowl you will see how strange they look. Very hearty birds.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Hm..I can see these guys pick away on bees, looks like fascinating hens, will you ever go back to regular chickens?
    I have tons of dead bees in front of hive...girls cleaning out, would your hens or chickens clean this up? I always think
    it's a waste when nobody cleans them up, isn't' it a waste of protein? Not even birds eat this....well, only seen one Northern Flicker one's.
    What else you keep besides Swiss Oberhasli?...Are you pleased with this Goat?
    Sometimes it goes through my mind I could make a large fence
    and keep some birds in summer, they could also keep the grass down.....would this work?
    I don't live there, so it would have to be a good fence to keep Coyotes out...Perhaps too much of a hasl?

Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We also have chickens, but they are in a confined area, whereas the guineas roam around the yard all day and roost in the barn at night. They are semi-wild, unlike the chickens, guineas can fly (when they remember they can). I don't know if I dumped a bunch of dead bees in the chicken pen if the chickens would eat them. Probably would. If you had chickens or other birds to keep the grass down and they were left unattended, unfortunately they would be gone in days I'm afraid. Hawks, owls, coyotes, foxes, skunks, etc., would slurp them up fairly quickly. I lock my chickens in every night and they do require some management. Even my guineas roost in the protected barn at night and when the weather is bad. If they are left out to roost in trees, they disappear one by one to some predator.

Oberhasli's are wonderful goats. Very personable, great milkers, not too noisy, and very smart. I've raised them for 10 years couldn't imagine having a different breed.

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An update on my bees isn't too good. My neighbor with show horses called to complain that there were bees flying around her horse's sweet treat block. She was going to deal with them accordingly. Maybe it is time to try to find someone to take our hive and relocate it elsewhere. We have never had anyone complain about the bees. We all are on at least five acre lots here (we have 10 acres), and I know the horse people have a twenty acre lot. But, I don't know what else to do. We won't have any wildflowers until at least another week, and I have sugar water out for them as well as putting the pollen patties in the hives :-(

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Oh..my, first, thank you for these answers on my questions.
    You're right, this predator thing.

So, this after 9 years of beekeeping,...have you increased
    your number of hives? I don't think you should be without
    bees in your yard, perhaps downsizing,.. how many do you have?

Not sure how many bees your neighbor has in the treat block?
    If it's not too many and they kill them, it wouldn't be too
    detrimental. I don't think they would use poison...they could
    harm themselves and the horses.
    You can tell them, in a week or two this will most defiantly
    stop when bees can collect nectar naturally. Also, you can
    try to feed dissolved honey...honey water, they like it more
    then sugar water, or take some honey comb from your hives
    and set them up against a warm south facing wall where the
    sun can warm them up a bit. Or poor som sugar water into empty wax
    comb cells, bees are attracted more by the naturally made honey comb.
    Good luck,
    Konrad

• oberhasli1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Konrad. I called my neighbor to find out what the problem was today and she said she left the top off of some horse apple treats and some bees got in. Duh! I did tell her that we aren't the only beekeepers in our area, so who knows whose bees they are. More than likely they are ours, but.... I did tell her that this is only a temporary problem and I did notice that my bees were bringing in some gray looking pollen and a few of the bees had some nice looking yellow balls on their feet. So, the pollen has started, and the bees should be preoccupied with that soon. She also complained that the bees bother her hummingbird feeders. I told her that more than likely it was yellow jackets. But, she is intent on my bees.

We only have one hive and we have had it for 9 years. We have never had any one complain about our bees. I will have to ponder the problem and decide whether we want to just sell the hive to someone else who is starting with bees.:-(

• cpp6318
    14 years ago

You can also drop a tace mineral block into a water source in between you and the offended neighbor. The bees probably need something that sugar water doesn't give them.
    If they can meet their needs closer to home they will.

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

Only one hive shouldn't be much of a problem...as you said, could
    be other bees too. Your yard can support at least 10 hives.
    Some hummingbird feeders are bad for bees.
    I have one with a bee guard, bees cant reach the syrup.
    I wouldn't worry....remember, you're doing the right thing, we need
    more people like you, [hobby bee keepers] who keep some bees.

Konrad

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert