Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamamia_gw

Stop Genetically Modified Crops

mamamia
17 years ago

Anyone else feel the same? ANy scientists out there. I want nature back, I don't want it altered by humans.

Comments (38)

• louie_gardner
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Genetically modified fruits,veg are great . If people took the time to learn about them instead of getting caught up in the PC world they would realize that many of these crops wouldnt have to be sprayed with chemicals as they would have no insects that feed on them.
    The DNA is crossed initially in the lab and many would grow larger and faster ,without being sprayed for pests than the regular fruits,vegetables.
    There are people going hungry in many parts of the world if by crossing an Apple with a Cantaloupe,etc,etc you get a bigger fruit and can be grown easier than its just that easier to feed the hungry.
    No one is forced to eat them but sadly the ignorant PC crowd has set this back while many starve .
    I prefer to eat a lima bean,pinto bean cross than a chemical sprayed bean.

• snc299
    17 years ago

More and more studies are being completed, and they all point to the decline in the bee population to GM....Genetically Modified crops. Russia just recently banned GM crops in mnay areas, especially potatoes. Europe will not even buy most of our food. Another study just completed with rats, GM crops was related to liver and kidney damage in rats.

A german study idenfied a simple answer to the problem, when bees were released in a GM rapeseed crop, then fed the pollen to the young bees, scientists discovered the bacteria in the guts of the young ones mirrowed the genetic traits as ones found in ther GM crops.

Most of the world will not buy our crops....Most of the world will not buy our poultry or beef.....

Another unrelated fact just released......America is one of the fattest nations on earth, out of 169 countries the U.S. ranked #9, with 1 being the worst. Only some small pacific islands beat us out, they were once lean and healthy, but they have have quit eating their mostly fish and veg diet, and now are eating our western food.

• louie_gardner
    17 years ago

Posted by snc299 8nc (My Page) on Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 17:51

More and more studies are being completed, and they all point to the decline in the bee population to GM....Genetically Modified crops. Russia just recently banned GM crops in mnay areas, especially potatoes. Europe will not even buy most of our food. Another study just completed with rats, GM crops was related to liver and kidney damage in rats.

I believe the bee part but who is taking these studies , Are they organizations that dont want GM foods?
    I cant see the Russian goverment banning anything due to health concerns infact one of the last places I would expect that from. I can see many countries banning it as the trade is unfair and stacked against us.

A german study idenfied a simple answer to the problem, when bees were released in a GM rapeseed crop, then fed the pollen to the young bees, scientists discovered the bacteria in the guts of the young ones mirrowed the genetic traits as ones found in ther GM crops.

Most of the world will not buy our crops....Most of the world will not buy our poultry or beef.....
    This has been going on before GM foods .

Another unrelated fact just released......America is one of the fattest nations on earth, out of 169 countries the U.S. ranked #9, with 1 being the worst. Only some small pacific islands beat us out, they were once lean and healthy, but they have have quit eating their mostly fish and veg diet, and now are eating our western food.
    I concur but that has nothing to do with GM foods but more like bad eating habits with refined sugars ,fats ,junk .

I am not doubting your info about the studies just wonder if they were objective .

• mamamia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We're not just talking about crossing canteloupes with apples here. We're talking about genetically altering stuff so that the pesticide is incorporated into the food itself. All I can think of is the Island of Dr. Moreau. This can cause perhps all sorts of allergies and reactions in people and other living creatures, as our bodies can only process what we have evolved to process. I'm no scientist, but I know a chemist who is very knowledgeable and I'm going to talk to him about this and inform you what he says. I cannot believe, using common sense, that altering nature is a good thing. What are babies getting who aren't breastfed and are eating GM soybeans? We'll find out in 20 years.

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

Stop posting unfounded rumors and off topic posts in the beekeeping forum

• mamamia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is not off topic. It is about bees and the drastic drop in the population. It's not just me noticing it. i think it's too bad that there are people who won't open their mind and think about the possibility that our bee friends might be in trouble. I don't intend on keeping my head in the sand on this one. As you will....

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

No, it's not. There is no scientific evidence of a relation between GM crops and the decline of honey bees. It is simple fear mongering and not appreciated in the beekeeping community.

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Well,... it's been said, that we won't know the long term effects on GM crops for a long time.
    This could be a start??
    I'm sure, there has to be of some good for GM, but I'm not sure if all plants will produce
    bad chemicals, what get's into the ground, killing all kind's of organism, also, when feeding pollen
    to bee larva they die!....can't bee....good IMO
    Is there some of the "bad" stuff going into the food chain?..I don't know.
    Also, I was reading, there's no return, because everything else has been polluted already, especially in north America.
    Konrad

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

That's right, you don't know. So unless you can quote some authoritative and scientific evidence, let's drop it.

• nippersdad
    17 years ago

Sorry texas bandit, I have to side with mammamia et al. We know categorically that Monarch butterflies are decimated by genetically modified corn pollen...pollen which has escaped and tainted the rest of the corn population. Corn which no one else will now buy, so they feed it to cattle.

Butterflies are also pollinators. There aren't many dots one must connect to feel concerned about our bee populations and our own agricultural viability vs. those nations unwilling to just "drop it," because it might hurt the feelings of some multinational corporate conglomerate.

When it was cigarettes, we were killing smokers, a small segment of the population, and could afford to spend forty years arguing with Texans about whether or not all of the "evidence" was in about the detrimental effects of smoking. We have waited for thirty years for action on Global Warming only to find that Exxon Mobil was buying its own scientists (one might even say political parties and Presidents) to argue the point, to muddy the waters.

When you are talking about American agriculture you are talking about entire eco-systems and future populations who have no vested interest in muddying the waters. If the bees are the canaries in the coalmine, it is our responsibility to talk about it, now!

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

I said credible scientific evidence, not hearsay....

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2000/01/06/63.asp
    Monarchs not at great risk from genetically modified corn, says scientist

Given that corn pollinates via wind, not bees, and it pollinates in mid summer, not fall or spring, you would be hard pressed to show a connection to CCD in bees.

http://www.nhne.org/news/NewsArticlesArchive/tabid/400/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2799/Are-GM-Crops-Killing-Bees.aspx

Bees dieing in Germany as well, where only .06% of the crops are GM.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1087
    As far back as 1896, CCD has popped up again and again, only under the monikers: 'fall dwindle' disease, 'May dwindle', 'spring dwindle', 'disappearing disease', and 'autumn collapse'.

There were no GM crops in 1896. This is a cyclic phenomena that has been documented over and over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3523453.stm
    Chemicals 'kill 90bn French bees'

So far there is no scientific evidence of GM crops killing or injuring bees. When there is, I'll be the first in-line to sue for my lost hives. Until then, it's just fear mongering.

• nippersdad
    17 years ago

Hello again texas bandit:
    Actually, though the BT genes put into the corn genome have not proven to be AS DEADLY to Monarch Butterfly CATERPILLARS as initially reported, it is the opinion of CREDIBLE scientists that the BT in modified corn strains does kill Monarch caterpillars, nevertheless. You see, this is what the gene was put into the corn FOR. TO KILL BUGS WHICH EAT THE CORN. This is not hearsay, this is fact. Google it.

It has been proven beyond question that the BT laced pollen has infected neighboring corn fields through, as you yourself say, corn's reproductive strategy of wind pollination. I learned of this strategy when I planted popcorn next to my Grandfather's sweetcorn as a kid...the hard way. I know that neither bees nor butterflies pollinate corn. Read my post more closely, I never said that they did. What I said was that GM modified corn pollen decimates monarch butterflies and it is not much of a stretch to think that it might affect other pollinators as well, much as it has affected neighboring farmers who did not plant BT modified corn. Corn that they cannot now sell for its intended purpose outside the U.S. Corn was merely meant as an illustration of my point.

Here is another: if you will, what percentage of the U.S. population (caterpillars :)) would you be willing to lose to tiny doses of arsenic before tightening up arsenic restrictions became a political imperative? This should be easy, your former Governor decided that a little more loading of arsenic on the U.S. population wouldn't be such a bad thing. But then, he has never had a problem with having scientific reports rewritten, has he? How do we know that some of these newest reports haven't been "tinkered" with as well? Or is this also an invalid question?

Might not BT laced corn pollen have the same compounding effect on organisms that arsenic or lead or mercury have? Might it not have the effect of weakening an organism to the point where it would enhance subjectivity to other opportunistic diseases or make the effects of pesticides used in fields more potent? Do you know? Why is this not a valid point to discuss in the bee keeping forum?

I reiterate: just because Archer Daniels Midland doesn't want us to have this discussion is no reason, in a country with a first amendment like ours, why we should be repeatedly constrained by such as yourself from doing so. The point is valid, the forum is right, the timing is impeccable.

Perhaps we don't wish to wait until the damage is already done to ask any questions, and who are you to question that? You have your opinion and you are entitled to it, we also have the right to form our own opinions and this is how we choose to do it. I would say bug off (get it? bees, bugs :)), but that would be rather rude, kind of like accusing people of "fear mongering" wouldn't you say?

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

Now I know why this board is a failure as a conduit for credible information about honey bees. For anyone that wants real information about honey bees, please try www.beesource.com where real beekeepers dispense serious information about beekeeping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beesource

• alliglass
    16 years ago

"Genetic pollution" by self-replicating genetically modified organisms (GMOs) is irreversible.
    Please remember many pesticides are targeted toward larvae of insects, which is why many butterflies are dying. Butterfies, like bees, are important pollenators.
    What is happening inside the insect, which includes the bee, once the GM item is ingested? Is there an autoimmune disease result? Here is an execellent article from an ACTIVE BEEKEEPER:

Could genetically modified crops be killing bees?
    John McDonald, Special to The Chronicle

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Printable VersionEmail This Article del.icio.us
    More H&G Articles
    With reports coming in about a scourge affecting honeybees, researchers are launching a drive to find the cause of the destruction. The reasons for rapid colony collapse are not clear. Old diseases, parasites and new diseases are being looked at.

Over the past 100 or so years, beekeepers have experienced colony losses from bacterial agents (foulbrood), mites (varroa and tracheal) and other parasites and pathogens. Beekeepers have dealt with these problems by using antibiotics, miticides or integrated pest management.

While losses, particularly in overwintering, are a chronic condition, most beekeepers have learned to limit their losses by staying on top of new advice from entomologists. Unlike the more common problems, this new die-off has been virtually instantaneous throughout the country, not spreading at the slower pace of conventional classical disease.

As an interested beekeeper with some background in biology, I think it might be fruitful to investigate the role of genetically modified or transgenic farm crops. Although we are assured by nearly every bit of research that these manipulations of the crop genome are safe for both human consumption and the environment, looking more closely at what is involved here might raise questions about those assumptions.

The most commonly transplanted segment of transgenic DNA involves genes from a well-known bacterium, bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), which has been used for decades by farmers and gardeners to control butterflies that damage cole crops such as cabbage and broccoli. Instead of the bacterial solution being sprayed on the plant, where it is eaten by the target insect, the genes that contain the insecticidal traits are incorporated into the genome of the farm crop. As the transformed plant grows, these Bt genes are replicated along with the plant genes so that each cell contains its own poison pill that kills the target insect.

In the case of field corn, these insects are stem- and root-borers, lepidopterans (butterflies) that, in their larval stage, dine on some region of the corn plant, ingesting the bacterial gene, which eventually causes a crystallization effect in the guts of the borer larvae, thus killing them.

What is not generally known to the public is that Bt variants are available that also target coleopterans (beetles) and dipterids (flies and mosquitoes). We are assured that the bee family, hymenopterans, is not affected.

That there is Bt in beehives is not a question. Beekeepers spray Bt under hive lids sometimes to control the wax moth, an insect whose larval forms produce messy webs on honey. Canadian beekeepers have detected the disappearance of the wax moth in untreated hives, apparently a result of worker bees foraging in fields of transgenic canola plants.

Bees forage heavily on corn flowers to obtain pollen for the rearing of young broods, and these pollen grains also contain the Bt gene of the parent plant, because they are present in the cells from which pollen forms.

Is it not possible that while there is no lethal effect directly to the new bees, there might be some sublethal effect, such as immune suppression, acting as a slow killer?

The planting of transgenic corn and soybean has increased exponentially, according to statistics from farm states. Tens of millions of acres of transgenic crops are allowing Bt genes to move off crop fields.

A quick and easy way to get an approximate answer would be to make a comparison of colony losses of bees from regions where no genetically modified crops are grown, and to put test hives in areas where modern farming practices are so distant from the hives that the foraging worker bees would have no exposure to them.

Given that nearly every bite of food that we eat has a pollinator, the seriousness of this emerging problem could dwarf all previous food disruptions.

John McDonald is a beekeeper in Pennsylvania. He welcomes comments or questions about the bee problem at mcbee_77@yahoo.com. General comments to home@sfchronicle.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Effects of insecticides

• ccrb1
    16 years ago

Many of us are watching GM issues. This state is mostly corn and soybeans, and that means mostly GM crops, yet, according to the DNR, there has yet to be a confirmed case of CCD in this state.

Previously stated was the fact that Europe has the same issues we have with bee health and they restrict GMOs to near zero.

No country, nowhere has the agricultural efficiency of the USA and Canada. Europe can ban all the things they want, but it's always been North America that feeds the world in times of famine.

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

How would GM corn kill Monarch Butterflies? We have a cornfield behind the house where GM corn/soybeans too are sometimes planted. We have plenty of Monarch butterflies. As a matter of fact, butterflies in general seem pretty thick around our place. We're already seeing butterflies in April!
    Monarch butterflies don't eat corn, their caterpillars don't eat corn...so how is corn killing them? I just don't get it.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

>>Europe can ban all the things they want, but it's always been North America that feeds the world in times of famine.You really have to see what is left on Agriculture over in Europe, as per acre, they grow allot more then we do
    over here.

And now we are growing it to also feed our thirst of our Vehicles.
    Manufacture more BIG, FAST, AND ALLOT OF HORSEPOWER ENGINES
    is really not needed for the general puplic but this is all
    they advertise on TV now these day's.
    This is getting a bit too far I.M.O.

I general, people are spoiled, more so in North America and don't seem to waken up to do something about
    our Environment.

>>How would GM corn kill Monarch Butterflies? Well..this happened in laboratory tests, to see how potent some of the pollens are to insect's.
    As the Honeybee, [insect] is feeding on such crops, [it has some ill effect's too when feeding
    pollen to larva], like Canola, grown around here and other flowering GM crops,
    scientists are thinking this could be the cause.
    Konrad

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Can someone explain why in this forum the people who are against GM foods claim they are killing bees and butterflies, but in other forums opponents claim they cause pesticide and Bt resistant bugs????

This makes NO sense to me the two arguments are in complete contradiction. On one hand opponents of GM crops say bugs are being made stronger by favoring the bugs that are resistant pesticides and Bt. Then at the same time they say they are killing bugs, not making them stronger at all. The only difference is that the bugs being made stronger are bugs we don't want and the bugs dying are beneficial. It just doesn't work that way. If both sides have scientific "support" then it is obvious that there hasn't been enough research done by the people who are against GM crops.

I think the biggest threat to bees are people who freak out at the first sign of bees and call an exterminator (with the exception of people who have allergies to bees).

• vaherbmom
    15 years ago

Not directly related to bees, but two other issues with GM crops that I didn't notice being mentioned are that it gives incredible power over the food supply to a very few select corporations and that the biodiversity of the plants we depend on for food is drastically reduced. The latter can result in world-wide famine if a GM crop should fall prey to some disease. It is much healthier for all of us if farmers are growing numerous species and cultivars rather than just a few particular crops, all with the same DNA.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Amen

• aperegina
    14 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but its a subject that I am now trying to connect the dots on. vaherbmom so very succinctly said what I believe it very important ~ to safeguard our food supply. It is so unfortunate and I am amazed to see that there are so many people who are letting them pull the wool over their eyes. Big Ag is now trying to mess with our food supply and once they do this there is no turning back. Since this post has ended we still don't know what is causing ccd. All the above! Stop GMOS. Why don't they label them? Folks would start asking questions! Buy organic and support your local farmers. Please, this is way too important.

• torajima
    14 years ago

It seems pretty obvious to me that genetically modifying plants to include insecticides is a REALLY bad idea, for a variety of reasons.

It does seem the Bee and Butterfly populations began collapsing about the same time that the use of genetically modified crops became widespread.

And now Bats are dying off, and no ones knows why... but their symptoms seem eerily similar to those of "infected" Bees. Bats of course eat the insects that feed on GM crops...

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

None of the general purpose criticisms of the technology that goes into GM crops in this thread were made with even the slightest clue about the technology. Take some classes, read some textbooks on genetics and the like, learn what is actually done, then criticize.

• torajima
    14 years ago

Oh, I think I have a 'slight clue' about the technology. And it's safe to assume that most of us on gardenweb have some understanding of genetics and cross-pollination.

But the simple fact is, taking the genes from one species and sticking them into another is NOT what nature intended.

Even if the benefits outweighed the risks (and they don't IMO), consumers should still be allowed to choose. GM crops should be labeled as such.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Does nature intend? Did nature intend ducks that cannot migrate? Or wheat that produces 10X the crop? Or cows that produce a gallon and a half of milk? Or squash plants that produce a few 20lb fruit? These are all things that came out of 500 year old technology that are notable for NOT being in "natures plan".

If you did have the clue you claim to possess then why exactly would you expect a gene moved into a plant to have any more likelihood of being bad for humans than a gene that arises naturally? The answer is that there is no reason other than panic about something you don't know about, panic due to ignorance.

You are simply scared about something because you are scared about it, not because there is a significant danger there, when compared to conventional agriculture.

In about 20 years when we are moving whole pathways rather than single genes we will start making compounds that people can be allergic too, at that point labeling may be important (if genetic modification hasn't been used to obliterate allergies all together) but at this point the benefits (which have been significant) have only been outweighed by the fear, no one has ever been harmed by any GM crops (well someone probably got a piece of corn husk in there eye or something like that ... you know what I mean)but millions of people would have benefited from them significantly (think blindness and golden rice) if not for the irrational fear drummed up.

Man has been modifying gene pools for a long time, now we can mix them more broadly, that's all.

• torajima
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, those of us taught to respect nature believe one should follow the rules of nature. Using selective pollination to increase the size of a crop is natural (you're still working within the bounds of nature).

Putting jellyfish genes in corn is NOT natural. Putting a hepatitis vaccine in carrots is NOT natural.

Not sure why some people refuse to see this.

Invariably, they are always the same people who refuse to acknowledge that thousands of people have, apparently, had allergic reactions to genetically modified corn and cotton.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

In nature agrobacterium put genes into plants, just like pollen puts genes into plants, we just bring the right parts together and let nature take its course. The distinction for you is a quasireligious one, you are welcome to have your misgivings about it, what is immoral is when you use your unfounded quasireligious feelings as an indicator of what is physically dangerous to consume.

Do you have a study on these allergic reactions that you can link too? I was once hosting a dinner party for some environmentalist friends of mine and I mentioned how I don't buy anything labeled GMO free, one of them complained about the GMO's in there food and how they always got sick when they had BT corn, I promptly pointed out that the corn was organic but not labeled GMO free (so it was still gmo free), people have been making up things about GMO's on purpose or accidentally since before they were released.

I want a solid reason why you would expect there to be any risk greater than that we see with "natural" crops.

Artificial selection is not natural selection by most every recollection, so no, the crops we made 500 years ago with "natural" means were no more natural than the car in your driveway or the jellyfish corn (although I highly doubt any jellyfish genes are being used in commercial/industrial agriculture).

• sam_md
    14 years ago

I'm responding to Sandy0225's post. I was in the cornfield today. The pollen was flying everywhere, lucky for me I don't have any allergies. One would expect corn pollen to become airborne since corn, like all grasses, is wind pollinated. Let's say the corn pollen contains the bacterium BT, what's to stop the pollen from settling on a host plant of desirable Lepidoptera (butterflies & moths)? The insatiable appetite of caterpillars of desirable species ingest the pollen along with the foliage and die. The host plants might include common milkweed, sassafras, hickory, all of which are found in close proximity to corn fields. I'm guessing that this is a consequence of GM corn that was never taken into consideration, similar to honeybees feeding pollen to larvae.
    Let's say that BT works perfectly, what effect will GM crops have on the populations of non-target pests?
    Isn't it likely that target pests will develop resistance?
    Seems like these are fair questions and there should be no resistance to asking them.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Sam_md this very issue has been taken into consideration and even investigated, and yes plants below the corn plants and plants off to the sides for about 10 feet will not harbor Lepidoptera larvae, you should however see the wide path cut by insecticides that continues in which ever direction run off flows. The BT protein (initially produced by bacteria, now produced by corn too) binds to a protein lining the intestines of Lepidoptera and death ensues. That protein interaction is a lock and key thing, just as you wouldn't expect your house key to suddenly start working on fords you wouldn't expect this protein to suddenly start working on other animals, such as Hymenoptera (bees, ants, and wasps) or people (in fact your house key is orders of magnitude more likely to work on your neighbors BMW than this protein is to bind to a human digestive protein and take you down).

Resistance (despite what the borg will tell you) is inevitable, eventually they will form resistance to any means of control used, they even form resistance to manual removal (camoflage, spines, hiding under leaves, evading grasp) and to sprayed on insecticides as well. If "it wont work forever" was an excuse not to do something then humans might as well give up now, because nothing we do will work forever (I mean nothing, breathing with lungs is not timeless, having eyes to detect em radiation in not timeless, perhaps being made of cells is timeless, we might see...)

These questions were all asked and answered, the scientists developing these things are not stupid, in fact they are among the smartest people in the world, and they are thinking about what might happen.

• rocketship5555_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

louie_gardner, I just want to say those cross beans you rather eat over sprayed crops don't render you chemical free.

In fact, every year more pesticides are poured down on the crops in an attempt to kill off 'super bugs' and 'super weeds' which evolved themselves more resistant to pesticides.

• speedfreakian
    13 years ago

As I understand it, Monsanto corporation started selling genetically modified seed in the early 90's, especially 'roundup ready' seed. All was well and we'd found a way to end world hunger. but now, 20 years later I think we can all agree that the cost of food just keeps going up not down! Monsanto didn't end world hunger they just made themselves rich.
    Now that I'm ranting about Monsanto, Did you all know that (thanks to Monsanto's lobbyists) it is now legal to patent a species of plant? Monsanto corporation buys up every single variety they can get their hands on, simply so the can ERADICATE that species, making their genetically minified seed more competitive.
    So now we have joe poor farmer that's been saving hes own corn seed for generations, and his neighbor that uses Monsanto's GM roundup ready corn. Joe poor farmer's crop gets cross pollinated with his neighbor's roundup ready corn, and little does he know he's now growing Monsanto's corn. Now Monsanto's team of lawyers comes along and takes a sample of Joe Poor's crop, and finds out he's growing roundup ready corn without a liscense! They then sue him for everything he's worth, thereby eliminating their competition. Watch the movie Food inc, it explains all of this in much better detail. also look at: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/26/eveningnews/main4048288.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: Monscanto on CBS news

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

I have herd this several years ago, here a article of a Canadian farmer..
    An estimated 400 farmers have received threats of legal action from Monsanto

Here is a link that might be useful: An estimated 400 farmers have received threats of legal action from Monsanto

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

According to the ET's, Genetically modified food can be good.

Scroll down to #16

Here is a link that might be useful: Genetically Modified Food

• anneface
    12 years ago

Nature genetically modifies plants ALL THE TIME.

If it were not for genetically modified plants, starvation would be affecting a greater percentage of the population.

I'm an Agriculture Major at UCM, and AM SOOOOO tired of hearing all the PC yuppies talk about all these scientific studies that half the time are wrong, or they just don't know what they are talking about.

Without genetically modified crops, we would not have been able to maximize the producing potential of many plants. And without doing so we couldn't feed the world.

Growing everything organically and being able to feed the world is and would be impossible. The world pop is expected to reach 11 BILLION PEOPLE by 2050. How else are we to support a population like that?

You don't like GM crops, go grow all your own food, and leave us farmers alone. Because it's unavoidable. Why don't you sit back and thank us for once for feeding you all.

• Charlie
    12 years ago

Genetic manipulation per se is no more dangerous than natural genetic variations which occur all of the time in nature. However, when a genetic manipulation has the potential for causing harm to the environment (such as the Bt variant), prior to the widespread usage of that variant, exhaustive study (such as the FDA often performs) is necessary. It seems to me that a controled study concerning the affects of a genetic modification should be relatively easy to conduct. Consider using an enclosed greenhouse with genetically modified corn and various polinators as an example. The Government in general should stay out a our lives, as much as possible, but in this case the Government has a role to play and should start doing its job to ensure that any negative affects of these variants are acceptable and mitigated when necessary.

• MartinGulasis
    11 years ago

I am against GMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: GMO against humanity

• julysun
    11 years ago

Some recent studies have indicated that an insecticide (nicotine based I believe) that is placed on the seed and migrates thought the plant is the culprit in HCS. Time will tell and it can be fixed like DDT use. GMO as such is a crutch that will allow the Earth's population to expand. Economics states that the population will expand to overwhelm the food supply. Food wars will be the result.First Uganda next Egypt? Yemen running out of water? The Sudan war? Of course we could quit breeding seedless Watermelon and HiGear corn.

• JRG13
    11 years ago

Ha ha ha, all the law suits... that's why Monsanto just won that last case cuz they could barely scrounge like 23 plaintiff's together (something like that maybe less) that had actually been sued. Ignorance and fear mongering go a long way these days apparently. I bet most people couldn't even name one genetically modified fruit/non row crop vegetable either other than the Papaya available on the market. And as pointed out, most of those studies done proving GMO's make you sterile, rot your ograns etc... use pretty imaginative statistics and have typically been disproven by the scientific community as a whole.

Hell, I changed my mind... lets just go back to using DDT and stuff, it's apparently safer than GMO's.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County