Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maw444

Paper Wasps on Teak Furniture

maw444
15 years ago

I am not sure which forum to use for this question, but I am hoping the beekeepers can give me some wasp advice

We live in Northern California and we have quite a few paper wasps that visit our backyard. Unfortunately, the wasps seem to love to sit on and eat our teak furniture. At any time on a warm day, we'll have 6-8 wasps on the chairs. While no one has been stung yet, we have two small children and I think it's only a matter of time before one of them or one of us parents gets stung. It's also annoying that if you sit in the chairs, wasps will fly up to find a spot on the chair for themselves.

I am sure that they are using the wood to build their nearby nests, but because we live on a golf course with mature oaks around, I haven't been able to locate the one or many nests from which these wasps have been coming. We are diligent about checking our home for nests and getting rid of any that appear.

I have contacted multiple teak retailers in our area, but surprisingly they are all surprised that wasps are eating away at our furniture and they have had no solution for a deterrent.

My question is how can I deter the wasps from wanting to eat our furniture? Is there a product that I can put on the teak that they won't like? I did find a wasp repellent product offered by a teak retailer in England, but when I contacted them they said that they could not sell it in the US due to the chemical composition.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH