Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mason bees are buzzing!!!

Posted by lanternboy Z8 WA (digger26rowdies@aol.com) on
Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 12:39

This is my second year of mason bees and I really enjoy watching them buzz around the garden and fruit trees. They've been out for the last couple of days. Are there any suggestions out there for other plants and bushes for them to buzz around and pollinate? I've been told to make sure the holes are 4" to 6" deep for them to lay their eggs in but some people say a couple inches is good enough?
Let me know what you think!!!! Also, don't house them over water. I had to fish 3 or 4 out of my gutter barrels.
Digger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mason bees are buzzing!!!

Digger--you want them 6 inches because they lay females in the back of the tube, for protection, and males in the front. If the tube is too short you will get mostly males next year. I know they like Dandelions and a bush called Pieris. Good luck and happy gardening.............Tom

o
RE: Mason bees are buzzing!!!

Digger,
I noticed HOney bees loved my Oregano & 4 nectar, & Gaillardia 4 pollen. I have tiny garden. Do know much about NW bee plants. Guess fruit trees are their specialty in the Spring.We're going to make or buy OM bee houses this year.

al_compost

o
RE: Our 1st Year 4 Mason bees

Digger,
WE've made them all 3" long in cedar for our church's property. That's what we've read is the minumum.They're are quite rare aroung here. I've seen 2 males since 4-06-06.

ALbert Romerofinley@yahoo.com

Alberto1444

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here