Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksuetx

need to remove established bee hive

ksuetx
18 years ago

I have an established bee hive in the fascia of an add on to a historic home. They have been well behaved. The house is unoccupied, except when we camp in for remodeling work. They bump us twice when we have been working too long in "their" area. They have not moved into the attic, as we checked periodically. I am against chemicals and don't want to kill them if at all possible. I have called some beekeepers. I know most don't want to mess with them because it is so established and involve a ladder, some have said they may have to kill them? I don't care about the wood (it is going to be replaced during remodeling) I have only talked to a couple who I felt good about. My real issue is I don't know truly what is what, as I have been told so many different things. I am uneducated in this area and am searching for answers. If you recognize my plea, please be patient with me. I was raised to hate things that stung, and this experience has changed my view. I want to do the right thing for my bees.

Comments (11)

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

My best advice would be to call in a professional beekeeper. They can smoke the bees and remove them by sweeping them into a box - in case you wanted to relocate them or start your own hive. Not all exterminators kill bees, many of them are bee keepers themselves and can advise you what to do.

My only question is - are you sure they are honey bees? When you say the bees bump you - I recall that some wasps will do that whenever you get too close to their nests.

These, however, make little paper/mud cone-like nests to raise their young in. When they bump you, it is usually a signal to stay clear or else!

I think I would look in the yellow pages of your phone book to find a professional if you want them removed, and to identify what they are.

If honey bees get into your house they can create a vast network of wax and honey that would be difficult to get rid of.

Good luck.

Bejay

• ksuetx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are bees as a few occassionally fly into the house. We had them checked to make sure they were not africanized. We also observe them through binoculars from time to time to verify their habits and condition of the house as we know it will all have to be replaced. At this point they are not into the attic, although we have had a couple of strays, it is only a matter of time as there is access.

I will keep looking for a bee keeper. I just wanted to know, I guess if there would be ones who would take it on reguardless of its size and location, since I am not concerned with the damage on the house as it is being replaced.

Thanks for encouragment. Time is drawing to a point where I must make a decision quickly.

• tarheit
    17 years ago

Definately look for a beekeeper willing to do the job. An exterminator or poison will do the job if done right, but then you still have all the honey/comb and several pounds of rotting bees to remove and dispose of as hazardous waste.

There are a few lists of beekeepers (and companies) that will remove swarms/and or established hives. The link to one is listed below:

-Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: Swarm Removal List

• bandit_tx
    17 years ago

Where are you located? I'm a beekeeper in Greenville, TX and I do removals. I don't think any beekeeper will take on a removal of this type without charging a fee. It is too time consuming and the return is almost nothing in most cases.

• jbdollar
    17 years ago

I tried an attic removal when I was new at beekeeping and it turned into a complete disaster. It turned out that I was able to get to part of the hive, but when I tried removing portions of it the bees freaked out on me and I had no where to run. I was afraid my smoker would set the house on fire, and the bees kept crawling up my legs and reminding me I didn't belong there.

I finally had to give up and recommended the lady call an exterminator. There was no way to get it out without destroying the house.

An adventurous beekeeper might try it if he or she can remove the wood and get good access to the hive. If I was close by I might give it a shot, only if I had the time and energy.

• bpitt
    17 years ago

Recently retired from the Service and getting into bee keeping.

I currently keep several hives, and working to get an established hive out of an old tenant house on our family farm.

My Grandfather also kept bees.

Anyway,

Where are you located and do you still have the bees?

Bill

• ccrb1
    17 years ago

a lit smoker is a liability. wearing veil and gloves and moveing slowly is the key. We did the move from a tree to a hive with only one accidental sting.

But you set fire to a place, you can pretty much say goodbye to all your assets.

I'm not sure whether there is ever a good time to use a smoker in a colony removal, frankly. These are often done from inside, and it can be dangerously hard to breathe at all.

Remember, some people can accomplish anything, including hive removal, with no stings and no smoke. You just need the skill of a surgeon.

• texasredhead
    17 years ago

Many years ago when we lived in Ohio, a former neighbor had bees take up residence in the front exterior walls of their home. A professional beekeeper came in and removed the bees into a hive he brought with him. Once the bees were removed they began to remove the clap boards on the front of their home. They removed nearly 400 lbs. of honey and combs from the walls.

• clear_sight
    15 years ago

Check out my simple, safe and inexpensive way to remove honey beehives that have formed in your house.

The best news is that not even a single bee will be killed this way.

http://beehive-in-my-bathroom.blogspot.com/

Do share this method with as many folks as possible.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

You have only a handful of bees here, probably a very small after swarm, only a couple of day's old
    with no caped honey.
    This one would have been a delight to cut comb and put in a nuke, [small box]...no expense, 15 minute job.

Hive what are established in walls are a different animal all together, your method would not work.
    A proper job is to take off one side of the wall and do a total removal....hard work!
    When wall is replaced, make sure all holes or cracks are sealed.

Konrad

• Sjaywolk_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have need to remove a hive of honey bees that have gotten established underneath the stucco in one wall of an apartment building in the Orlando, Florida area. I would prefer to remove them without killing them if the cost of doing so is anywhere near the cost of exterminating them and removing the honey. If you are in this area and can help or have suggestions, please contact me by either return e-mail of telephone. (407) 339-2933.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone