Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some bees survived

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 14:22

To my astonishment, some bees survived this winter. I checked on a warm day last month and found the queen and a good number of workers dead in the upper hive box. But on warm days the last two weeks there are some buzzing around. I can't tell you how glad I am to have overwintered even a few.
Perhaps it was our first try at insulating or that we took no honey last fall because production was very, very low.

What should I do? I have a queen package on order. On a warm still day can I smoke and assess the condition of the rest of the hive?

I need to re-queen, don't I? The hive is not swarming with bees, so I assume I should start again this spring. Will the old and new combine without problems?

Finally, will the honey that overwintered be adequate for the surviving bees now, or should I be feeding sugarwater?

Thanks, everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some bees survived

>> But on warm days the last two weeks there are some buzzing around<<

You need to inspect the hive,..you might have robbing bees cleaning out the hive?

Konrad

o

I hadn't thought of that. Good point. Should I at least suit up just to be safe? If they are not from my hive, but are robbers, what next?
Marie

o

>>Should I at least suit up just to be safe?<<

It depends, if they are robber it's going to be harmless.
I just inspected one tonight, [one out of seven] spring check up when no nectar is coming in
bees seem to be docile and I never suit up, hives are mostly smaller in size too.
I usually smoke them a little.
You be the judge.

<< If they are not from my hive, but are robbers, what next? <<

Close off the hive, stuff some paper towel or rag into the bottom and top entrance until you install
your new bees.

Konrad

o

Marie do you have wax moths in your zone? In my area you best not leave hives stored without bees or the wax moths will ruin your foundations.

o

the plot thickens.....
The Easter rabbit and I will defend the hive this weekend.
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here