Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmarcos68

natural requeening

vmarcos68
19 years ago

I often hear that if the queen is dead she can be replaced or the hive will make its own new queen. Am trying to speculate on what might happen to one of my colonies if the queen had died last fall or over winter.

Since the queen initially mated with drones in order to create female eggs, a worker female would have to mate with a drone now that it is spring.

Since I doubt that any female eggs would be in cells assuming queen hasnt been laying eggs throughout winter, to feed royal jelly to.

What is the likelihood of the hive naturally requeening since it is moderately strong, in this case?

Comments (5)

• txbeeguy
    19 years ago

Given the facts as you presented them, the hive will die unless YOU introduce a new queen. A laying worker will not mate with a drone - she will only lay drone eggs. Two things have to happen in order for the hive to requeen itself. First, there has to be the general "recognition" (by the bees) the colony is without a queen and secondly, there has to be a female (fertilized) egg or larvae of the proper age to feed royal jelly to in order to develop a queen.
    --
    Given the strength (population) of the colony at this time of year, it is possible your queen has just not begun to lay yet. There would be doubt in my mind if your hive is really queenless.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

A hive makes an emergency queen from female eggs laid in the past two days. The queen is out in 21 days and flies out to mate a week or so later, so in a month, you could be queen right.

if

you have fresh female eggs

if

weather is good for mating, sunny 70s or better

if

there are enough drones to mate her well

if

she finds her way back to the hive after mating without getting injured or eaten.

• vmarcos68
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Now that I have ventured a split with my stronger colony it prompts me to ponder....

What if the only drones around are from my other two colonies. Is this tantamount to inbreeding? Will my bees end up 'funny in the head' if done repeatedly?
    Also, why only one mating flight anyways?

Since I understand that drones are in and out of eachothers colonies I suspect they would spot a virgin queen cell on the rise and be willing to assist. The intitally weaker colony seems to be roaring a bit louder lately.

Life is good.

• Ersten
    19 years ago

I believe an emergency queen can be "created" from a larva as old as three days. ALL larvae are fed royal jelly the first two days of their existence. Only from the third day on are future queens continually fed royal jelly. Counting from day three, the larva will be capped in in five days, and the new queen will emerge eight days later. It takes 16 days from the day the egg is layed to a new queen emerging.

After emerging, the virgin queen should mate within seven days, and start laying eggs about a week after that.

• ccrb1
    19 years ago

And inbreeding with a son is avoided, as a signficant portion of eggs laid will not be viable. It doesn't take generations of inbreeding (son to mother) it happens immediately as the son is a clone of the mother.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets