Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_in_ne

Okay, I have my mason bees, help!

Melissa_in_NE
19 years ago

I have received my bees.

Saturday DH and I built a box with an overhang and a chicken wire door, we have LOTS of woodpeckers and other birds and wanted to offer the bees as much protection as we could give them.

The box has a slightly sloping roof and room for the bees to land and rest. I put the tubes in a can with 70 other empty tubes. The can is resting in a rack with the front of the can down a little further than the back so no water gets in.

I only ordered 40 bees, I ordered thru knox cellars.

The bees are in cardboard tubes with paper liners. It was under 55 the day we put the bees out so I did not take them out of the cardboard tubes. It looks like some of the bees have made their escape because the plug at the end of the tubes is gone. I can't tell if the remaining bees have escaped or not. Should I take the liner out of the cardboard tube now and investigate the liner to make sure they are all out or wait a while? It has only been 5 days since we set them out and the nights have been below 55.

I have not seen any sight of the little guys, but, they have 10 acres of apple trees to roam so I don't think chances are high that I will see 6 or 8 mason bees.

I am so excited for them. I go out to their "house" several times a day. Their house faces southeast. There are great windbreaks on all sides except the east. I have a hydrant 25 feet from their house, I keep a bowl their with fresh water. There is also a creek 100 feet from their house.

Is there anything else I can do to help them survive? Especially food wise?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Comments (2)

Sponsored