Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I invert my hive?

Posted by ncdirtdigger 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 15:54

I bought a package of bees this spring and set them up in a large brood box with frames of foundation. I also put a small super on top of that because I had a couple small frames of honey from my old hive left over and used that to help them get started. I have two small frames covered in brood cells and below that in the brood box, one frame has brood cells on both side of it. Will the queen stay down in the brood box, or should I move the small super to the bottom of the hive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I invert my hive?

Bees like to go up, you could switch the boxes and see.
If you want to have only one brood box, [here we run two deep]
then you could take the two frames with brood out, make sure queen is below and put queen excluder on. Put the frames below, [deep] on the very outside of box where they store honey mostly. Remove 2 deep frames temporarily until bees hatched.

You could have put a queen exluder on top before putting the honey box on, if you want to run one deep?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here