Houzz Logo Print
jasonjm2007

there is a huge mass of bees on my sidewalk

jasonjm2007
15 years ago

where the sidewalk meets the grass

thousands of them all in a big ball

what are they doing there?

i turned on my sprinklers by they didnt leave....

Comments (17)

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

What kind of bees are they? Can you post a picture?

Konrad

• jasonjm2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yah when i get home if they still there i will

i called the fire department and made it their problem

• jasonjm2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOOK - THE BEES AT 15 MEGAPIXELS! zoom to see full size

at least one pile of them in my picture

so tell me what kind of bees are they and what are they doing and why arent they going away

http://www.scn.bz/images/IMG_0425.JPG

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

That's not that many bees...in the bee keepers eye.
    These are honey bees, looks like the Italian strain, probably the fire dep.is going to kill them?
    This would be easy pick for a bee keeper, do you have any in your area and can phone:
    For them being on the ground and not moving could mean that the queen got injured and cant fly or
    you have a neighbour with bees ?.. the hive swarmed and the queen couldn't fly well because some
    keepers clip their wings so they don't go far when they swarm.

Konrad

• jasonjm2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

im in a built up area of los angeles

doubt there would be a beekeeper

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

there are beekeepers everywhere, even in the big cities. You'd be surprised. good luck

• eibren
    15 years ago

It's a shame to kill a bunch of bees that just work hard to pollinate our fruit and protect their queen....

:o(

• jasonjm2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

they all flew away today to somewhere else (I dont know where)

• rommell83
    15 years ago

Some of the posters are right. There are beekeepers everywhere who are more than willing to collect the bees. With the declining populations of bees in this country it makes me sad when I hear that another swarm is going to be destroyed. It is nice to hear that they flew away before being destroyed. A nice ending to this story!

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

But I'm not so sure if I should believe bees stayed for 4 or 5 day's on the side walk when the Firedepartement was called in day one.

Konrad

• dougt
    14 years ago

Well this very thing happened to me two days ago. A small swarm of honey bees landed on my drive way, and then they formed a pile on the grass near by. They were right outside my front door so I was concerned for my kids and any visitors that may be coming by. I called one of our pest control companies to see if they knew anybody who was a bee keeper. They gave me a name and number and he came by that evening and took them away. I never encountered a swarm before and I was amazed at just watching them. I never heard of a swarm just staying in the grass for several hours. Anyway, I hated to hurt them for the simple reason of hearing about all the honey bees dying do to some type of mites.

• jasonjm2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the fire department never came back, their warning barricades are still sitting on my sidewalk

they just forgot about it.....

anyways now i got something worse, a black widow infestation

• MikeM0
    10 years ago

In the past (10+ years ago) you are correct about being able to find a willing beekeeper to come by and gladly pick them up for free and thank you for it! But nowadays I wish I could find a beekeeper in Southern Nevada. I've called everywhere and they all say that "they are REQUIRED to treat ALL stray bee hives here as Africanized and can only destroy the nests" and they want a minimum of $75 up to $200 to come out and destroy them. Don't know if this a line the pest services are using to get business, but we haven't found anyone to say otherwise. It makes my wife so upset as WE can tell they are perfectly tame bees, but we can't have them nesting on the house eves. Our yard is apparently very attractive to them due to a lot of blooming vegetation in the middle of all xeriscaped yards and we average one swarm a year. The only ones that attack are from when they are destroying a hive nearby and angry ones stray to our house. If anyone has another suggestion I'd love to hear.
    Right now I think we have one in a hidden corner of the house roof as we started seeing a few hundred half-dying on our driveway the last few days. I'm guessing someone in the neighborhood has sprayed insecticide heavily.

• Paris Fetters
    4 years ago

just got home to discover many bees on the sidewalk. They are alive, just never seen them do this before. I support the bees by providing them with plants/bushes that bloom throughout the year and while I know of no known /hive they flourish and are abundant gathering nectar at my home in Ossian, Indiana. These last 2 nights were near freezing so I don't know if this is a factor but it's the 11st I've seen this behavior since moving here several years ago.

• Paris Fetters
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

, 11.

• honeyk
    3 years ago

why would you turn on the sprinklers? that's not helpful... bees can drown easily...please don't intentionally harm bees.

• rober49
    3 years ago

keep in mind that when bees swarm they are USUALLY very docile & its a temporary situation. they have sent out scouts & are looking for a new home. when a majority of the scouts agree they return & do a bee dance called a waggle to break the news & the swarm moves on. this can take a few hours to several days. if this ever happens to you do a search for a local beekeeping association. most have a list of beekeepers who collect swarms and/or remove hives from buildings. I get referrals from pest control & tree trimming companies all the time. i'm on so many list I do not know how I got on them all. I've already caught 14 swarms this year & removed 2 hives from houses. besides beekeeping association list I'm on call with the st louis city & county police & parks depts., the Missouri Conservation Dept., several small municipalities, & several national lists. on 3 st louis city calls the police had the area sealed off with crime scene tape. that cracked me up. the best was when a swarm blew in during a marathon run 4 911 dispatchers called me within 10 minutes & when I talked to a cop at the scene he called the fire dept for a ladder truck. I climbed the ladder & retrieved a huge swarm ( near 5 # ). when I shook the branch that they were on & they all fell into my catch box you could the collective gasp of around 300 spectators.

Sponsored