Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should I feed my bees sugar water in there second year?

Posted by mike758 Glen Mills, PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 18:05

I can't find much info about this. Anyway though, my bees survived the winter and are doing well. Quite a few less than the end of last year, but that's expected, I still have a good number. Someone told me to put my feeder back on, so I have been feeding them 1-1 sugar water since the beginning of April. Someone also told me not to keep the feeder on too long, but I don't know how long too long is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should I feed my bees sugar water in there second ye

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:03

I'm new to beekeeping, and googled "online beekeeping course," and ended up at this site. They have a seven or eight lesson email course-free. Lots of good info, not really a course, just a series of emails that you read at your leisure. One of them address feeding and overfeeding. I'm not going to quote anything from there, as, the internet is full of opinions. Will let the experienced folks address your question.

I tried to get directly to the course, but couldn't do it through the "front door." Perhaps you should just google as I did and it'll get you in if you're interested.

Be well,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Ploughshare Institute

o

I am not a bee keeper of the honey bee just the gentle mason bee. But with mason bees if you have a bee that emerges earlier than your surrounding are ready for such as no spring flowers. then you leave out the feeder for a while just until you see the flowers and such in full swing. then you cut them off so they work to get pollen and not getting to lazy.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

o

It depend on the honey store, lift up your box from one side and if it feels heavy then nothing to worry about. On a warm day I would do a inspection and you might want to put a couple of honey frames, which are on the outside, ..move them them in a little.
Generally, you can feed all you want until you super up, which means, girls have stocked the brood boxes with sugar honey,..then all they do is, bring the real thing up into honey super and you'll be harvesting more honey.
ONLY do this if you're greedy for honey.
Personally, I hardly ever feed in spring, I want them to have good honey in the brood box as well, better food for them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here