Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonybeeguy

installed packages today

tonybeeguy
17 years ago

Just rambling. Drove out to Betterbee this morning from Berkshire County MA and picked up two 3lb packages with Italian queeens.It was 40 degrees and mostly cloudy today. We're supposed to have a Nor'eastern coming tomorrow, and not wanting to leave the bees hanging out in the shed for who knows how long, I popped them into their hives when I got home. Last week when the weather was sunny and warm I got the two extra hives set in place with mostly drawn out frames some with honey and a few frames of foundation, so I was well prepared. Everything went smoothly. I pulled a few frames, shook the bees in, replaced the frames and placed the queen cage on top after poking the candy. I used 1" spacer frames to keep the inner cover above the queen cage, and a bucket feeder and global patty on the inner cover, with an empty medium super and telescoping cover to close things up, topped off with an old tire to hold the TC down. Let it snow. The bees are snug and happy in their new home. Just as I buttoned up the last hive the sun broke through nice and warm. Life is Beautiful! Will check back in a few days to see that the queen is out. Tony

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals