Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installed packages today

Posted by tonybeeguy (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 19:04

Just rambling. Drove out to Betterbee this morning from Berkshire County MA and picked up two 3lb packages with Italian queeens.It was 40 degrees and mostly cloudy today. We're supposed to have a Nor'eastern coming tomorrow, and not wanting to leave the bees hanging out in the shed for who knows how long, I popped them into their hives when I got home. Last week when the weather was sunny and warm I got the two extra hives set in place with mostly drawn out frames some with honey and a few frames of foundation, so I was well prepared. Everything went smoothly. I pulled a few frames, shook the bees in, replaced the frames and placed the queen cage on top after poking the candy. I used 1" spacer frames to keep the inner cover above the queen cage, and a bucket feeder and global patty on the inner cover, with an empty medium super and telescoping cover to close things up, topped off with an old tire to hold the TC down. Let it snow. The bees are snug and happy in their new home. Just as I buttoned up the last hive the sun broke through nice and warm. Life is Beautiful! Will check back in a few days to see that the queen is out. Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installed packages today

Good for you Tony!
I did my hive inspection today, this is one, also Italians, going into it's 3rd. season.
No CCD here.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Konrad

o

What a difference 60 miles away makes. We too got our four new sets of bees on Saturday, but here we are still snow covered, and the storm brought a bunch more, poor bees.

Poor bees

o
snow

lisanh, I know what you mean. We were supposed to get snow too but have had rain since sat night so all of the snow is gone at least for today.When I open the cellar door it sounds like someone is running a bath, and the sump pump is on more than off. So are your bees in the hives or are you holding off for warmer temps?

o

Konrad, Your girls look happy!
We're picking up some packages this saturday from Dadant in Elmira NY. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Keep hummin'
Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here