Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brer_gw

My first attempt

brer
12 years ago

I got a nuc a week and a half ago. I have medium frames, and the nuc was regular frames. They told me to put it in the top box of two and let the bees draw out comb on the edges and then later lift it up and to the sides and out.

Well, I got courage enough to open up the hive today (no stings) and found that the bees were building comb (about the size of teacup saucers) at the bottoms of the regular sized frames. They weren't building into the sides much at all. Just combs hanging in thin air. The comb looked like pita bread. I didn't know what to do. What should I do?

Is that good. They weren't going up and they weren't really going out.

Comments (7)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Not really sure if I understand your question.
    How many frames in the nuc?
    Are the frames on plastic foundation?

Not sure why they would build comb hanging in air when you have foundation?
    Always make sure the frames are tight together, otherwise they can
    build a mess, this is what might have happen, if so, scrape or cut it out
    when you have brood in there, lean it against a outer frame, bees will
    stay with brood and when hatched remove it and lay it outside the hive,
    bees with clean out honey if there is some.

• brer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My boxes were medium sized, but the nuc was five regular sized frames. They said I could put it in my medium sized if I used two boxes put together. That way, however, left several inches in the bottom box underneath the larger frames. There were frames on each side but not beneath it, because the larger frames extended into the space that would have been the smaller frame. But not quite to the bottom. Does that make more sense? I don't know how to describe it. But that's certainly where they were doing all their work. (Underneath the longer frames, I mean)

Now, how do I lean it against an outer frame (you mean INSIDE THE HIVE, RIGHT?) Do I cut it off the bottom of the frame and lean it against the side standing it on the wire bottom?

Normally there would be space for 8 frames in the bottom box--- But, only three would fit there because the FIVE larger frames extend into the bottom box. In the second box (above) there are the five large nuc frames, and three shorter ones, one on one side, and two on the other.

I have crimpwire foundation (wax).

Thanks~

Boy, I sure got myself into a mess for my first time, didn't I?

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

OK...I got it.
    Is there brood in these extension combs? If you do then cut it flush to bottom of deep frame and heave it standing in the bottom box...top of bottom board inside hive,..you might loose some brood but no big deal, you can also tie com with rubber band inside a empty wooden frame...rubber band around and heaving the comb standing inside, that's sometime done when extracting a swarm.
    [Picture]
    One's eggs are hatched from the large frames you can take them out, one by one and have them clean the frames out,...outside the hive if you don't want to use them.

Perhaps put a full medium on top of this...bees like to go up.

Holding cut out brood with rubber band
    {{gwi:427580}}

• brer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your advice. When it stops raining---maybe Saturday??? I'll head out and make some changes.

:)

• tonybeeguy
    12 years ago

I think I would have gotten one deep box,added three deep frames and then used the medium boxes on top. Run it that way for a year and then next spring pull the empty deep off the bottom if you really don't want to use it. Even if you cut the comb from the bottom of the deep frames and tie it into mediums, you haven't solved the problem of having deep frames in a double medium box, and still won't be able to put those other 5 medium frames in the bottom box.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yes...beekeeping is so interesting in that the almost every bee keeper
    is doing things differently and all seem to work.

It's still early in building up the hive and population is still low, you can also put the deep frames with brood...[if any] to the far right or left of box where the queen most likely will not lay eggs, and when brood is hatched remove frame and put it outside of hive to clean up honey...if too many robbers from your neighbors bees, then lay down frame in a empty super on top of hive cover with hole, bees will come up and clean it up taking honey down filling medium frames.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Hi tonybeeguy....
    I made a mess last year. I took out a frame when I installed the queen, and didn't remember to put it back in. The resulting burr comb and....ahem....conversations with my mentor were very educational. I'm glad I didn't have to rely on written directions for the solution. I would have been mystified. She came over and "cut and pasted" and it worked out in the long run. But it was an experience I'll remember.
    Marie