Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbies on bee

Posted by nashonii 6 Ozarks (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 19:41

We were so excited, (and curious), trying to be a good host family, that..you guested it. We caused both hives to swarm. My husband took the Queens 'chambers' out as soon as they emurged. They both swarmed. One of the hives diffinately took her anterage and left. We were afraid both Queens left since they both swarmed. Yet one of the hives still has about 1/2 the anterage. We don't want to disturbe them right now. Don't see the queen, but we are new to this.The bees are very busy!
Does it sound like we might have a Queen left?
Are there any other bee keepers in our area who might might like to chat and give advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbies on bee

There are way's to prevent swarming, splitting, checker boarding,....like open up the brood chamber etc. but sometimes you cant do much.
I let mine swarm and I can catch them,...these will be my new hives for the following year.
You should be fine...hopefully?
Not really sure what your husband did, ..think he took out queen cells, if he did, then the hive could get queen less.
The old queen takes off with about half the bees, the rest will take over with a new mated queen,...normally, if you didn't take all the queen cells out.
Check for new eggs/larvae in about 2 weeks.

o

DH says we just have about 30 bees lift, and he doesn't see any eggs, and maybe not any drones. "So looks like we are stuck." He is thinking of buying another beehive, from a guy who has offered to let him watch and learn. We need the learning!
Thank you konrad.

o

Yeah,...your hive is gone, too bad, good advise from the guy.

o

Google Package bees, you should find a package with bees and Queen for $130 or less. Order now or you will miss the season. Follow the suppliers instructions and install the bees. Be sure to feed the bees with Sugar water (1 to 1) and some patty food, also from the web. You should have 95% chance of success. Keep us posted.

o

>>He is thinking of buying another beehive, from a guy who has offered to let him watch and learn.<<

This is a better plan.

o

There are numerous videos on Youtube showing how to install bees. If you can't find them I will help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here