Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailuvscats

sure they are honey bees, 610 area code

gailuvscats
17 years ago

No one answered my ID request, but I think they are honey bees, from what I have searched. I will call a beekeeper tomorrow, but if he won't come get them, they have to go.

I mean how can I go in and out of my basement, and not get swarmed or have them get into the house As it is I have two trapped between the window and the screen waiting for them to die before I open the window. I don't know how they got in there, but I am not opening the window until they stop moving. I have cats,that will go after them and I don't want them stung.

Also, I do not want honey above the ceiling of the basement entrance. this is a real problem.

any of you beekeepers in the 610 area code?

They haven't made any honey yet have they?

Comments (10)

• ccrb1
    17 years ago

which would be in Pennsylvania

• gailuvscats
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Philadelphia area

• gailuvscats
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not sure what you are saying honeyman, can't open the link. I called a bee guy today and he told me if I don't want the bees, I should plug up the holes, says they are scouts, and won't set up where they can't get in.
    Otherwise I should wait until thousands of them come and then for 500.00 he can come and remove them. I will be plugging the hole now. if it doesn't work poison is in order.
    He confirmed from my description they are honey bees.

• tonybeeguy
    17 years ago

Sorry I didn't see your first post> What Honeyman was recommending is that you post or check out beesource.com for help. It is an all-beekeeping forum which we all participate in. There are many bee and bee like insects that look similar to a honeybees. I can understand your real concern. Sometimes when you keep bees you expect everyone to love them which isn't always the case. Even we beekeepers don't like to be dive bombed or head butted by an angry bee. If these are honey bees your ceiling isn't the place for them to establish a hive. If you only see a few coming or going and they ARE honeybees, then there isn't an established hive. The typical swarm can have upwards of 10 or 12,000 bees.If they are in fact just scouts looking for a place for a swarm to move in, and are in fact honey bees,plugging up all of the entrance spots should work. I would use a caulk gun and some good quality exterior caulk. You can do it very early morning or later in the evening when there are no bees flying around. My guess without seeing one of the culprits is that they may be some kind of hornet starting to build a nest in the ceiling. If that is the case you definitely want to discourage them. If you really want to kill them you can use soapy water rather than a harsh chemical spray. We DO need all kinds of pollinators, so killing is a last resort. If you can eliminate the invitation to take up residence by plugging cracks and holes, that is always the best option. Good luck and keep us posted .We really are a frindly and helpful bunch of people! Tony in MA

• gailuvscats
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you tony. When I returned later today 4 of them were continuing to try to get in anything they thought was an opening. I stuffed aluminum foil into all entrances I saw them using and everything I thought they could use. Around 4pm, there were none there, so I went in and started stuffing more anywhere I thought would be good, one came back and checked me and the place out and left. They have been polite, none stung me, only charged me until I backed off. they didn't chase me. I don't think I trapped any inside. I tapped it with a hammer before I started, hoping any inside would leave. I hope they find a good place to set up shop. If I had a bigger property, I would consider
    putting out one of those boxes for hives, but I don't think I would have the guts to take the honey out.
    anyway, sorry for my earlier tiff, I was frustrated and did not want to kill them, so the beekepper this morning gave me good advice. As of 6pm, none returned, so I may have sent them scouting elsewhere.

• tonybeeguy
    17 years ago

Sounds good Hope all works out well Tony

• gailuvscats
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mission accomplished, have not seen a bee since whatever the last time I said I saw a bee. Over 24 hours.
    I hope others see this thread and realize to plug up the holes before they get started.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

A picture is needed for I.D.
    I'm on the swarm retrieving list and get called many times for bees,...just like this post. Most often when you have low number of bees,..like in your case 4 bees trying to get in, are bumble bees. I have never seen honey bees in these low numbers. Bumbles like very tight places with insulation in the wall. I usually say send me a picture first,...then I tell them your'e a proud owner of a bumble bee nest and enjoy! Usually this is a one year deal, most bees die off late fall, a queen will start the new cycle in spring, usually somewhere else.

• buzzbee
    11 years ago

Honey bees are usually only aggressive if they have something to defend. If these were scouts,they most likely would not have been chasing you. Most likely another species or there is a colony nearby other than what you were trying to close up.
    I have an Observation hive in my home with an outdoor entrance and have very few incidents of bees showing any interest in what I'm doing.
    {{gwi:429207}}
    Just for future reference, if you have a honey bee problem you will definitely get more response from a bee forum.

• buzzbee
    11 years ago

But posting in as many places possible is a good idea.Hopefully more beekeepers will get involved with the garden forums as they go hand in hand for the hobbiest and sideline beekeepers.
    Youu received good advice on blocking entrances and on not killing an established colony. Often spraying only kills bees near the entrance and the balance of the bees remain. If they move behind a stud spraying is futile. If you do manage to kill and established colony,the honey at some point will begin to come out of the combs and attract other insects and robbing bees too.
    The no kill idea is not just to save the bees,it is also to save you a huge mess.

Sponsored