Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegman_gw

couple of mason bee questions

siegman
13 years ago

I'm fairly new at this. This year is the second year, I have wood blocks with holes drilled in them, and they have emerged and are very active. Now I've done some reading and find that this is not the ideal way to go. I saw some videos of some bee condos that you take apart and scrape out the cocoons and clean them with sand. That looks like the way to go, but since this season is to late to build those, I bought some paper tubes to put in some new blocks I had drilled. Question 1 is, is there a way to get the cocoons out of those tubes in the fall. If I push them out with a dowel, wouldn't that tend to crush them? Second, are there some plans on line somewhere for building these take apart condos? I couldn't find any. 3rd. the houses I have, when the bees emerge, they don't all come out at once, and then when they do they return and start sleeping in and I assume filling the holes again with new eggs, so how do I brake the cycle and get rid of these boxes with out destroying what's in there. And last, since they seem to come out now when none of my garden stuff is in bloom, is it possible to keep some cocoons in the frig to hatch later in the season, and if so, how late do I dare do this?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH