Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

help with mason bees!

Yes I have done research with them (what type of 'home' they need, when to use them, etc.). Just to clarify they are solitary and don't need a 'hive' like honey bees do.

I plan to use a 'nest box' (it has holes drilled in it, for them to lay their eggs etc. it's not a literal 'box')

I'm also using them primarily for pollinating crops that require insect pollination.

I've looked on both the forums on Garden Web and my own research with what they pollinate. It says their primary use is for pollination of fruit trees, hence 'orchard bees'.

However can they also be used for pollination of veggie crops (winter squash melons etc.) or do they only pollinate fruit crops (fruit trees).

The other question I have is do they pollinate in the summer? It says they're primarily spring bees (early spring) but my growing season doesn't even start until May 28th.

The crops I grow won't even be bearing their blossoms and fruit until about August-September.

Will it be too late for mason bees by then? Honey bees really aren't an option.

The plot I'm growing on the plot itself is mine, the land isn't so I can't make any permanent changes.

I can't acquire them locally (no vendors that sell them, don't know anybody who is a beekeeper either), but I have sources of ordering them via internet.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services