Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beehives Near Poisonous Plants?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 20:48

As stated in another thread I started, I'm about to start up my own hive and am going through the various permutations I can think of before doing so, just to make sure.

I have several very poisonous plants that I intentionally grow (the biggest offenders being Deadly Nightshade and Wolfsbane). The Wolfsbane is so toxic that just brushing against it can give you a rash that will make poison ivy seem mild by comparison, but they do make for very attractive flowers.

Now I know that as a rule honey bees won't be overly attracted to my local garden, preferring to go after orchards, wildflowers, all of the big game stuff. I also know that it will take a very small amount of aconite to make someone quite ill.

I do intend on using some of the honey the hive will produce, so obviously 2+2 time, should I be worried about the honey being tainted by my poisonous plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beehives Near Poisonous Plants?

And I found the answer in an article about aconitum poisoning in Japan traced back to honey from a hive that was near a patch of wild monkshood/wolfsbane.

So definitely won't be growing that again next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here