Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claytamer

safe removal of bees from walls

claytamer
15 years ago

That pretty much explains it. We have an old farm house and the bees moved in 12 to 15 years ago. They don't really bother us but we'd like to get some honey for the rent payment, so to speak.

The big problem is that last summer in all the heat, we had honey seeping thru on the 1st floor where the wall meets the floor. I assume that some of the comb had melted.

I told my wife we should cut a door into the wall to take some of it out but she's having no part of it. I was just kiding anyway.

What is the best way to remove them with minimal or no damage to the structure? I'd like to try this myself as I want to keep the the hives here on the farm. We have an orchard and veggie garden that need their help. I have zero experience with bees but I've watched others work with them numerous times.

Comments (4)

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

You ask for bee removal but then you want the honey?
    To get the bees out permanently, the wall has to get cut open
    and everything has to come out, most often the queen gets lost
    or killed. Then all has to get sealed so next year bees don't come back.
    If you want to harvest honey, then your idea is good with a door,
    you could take out about 1/3 or half of honey and leave the
    rest for them to survive the winter.

Konrad

• claytamer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't want to lose the bees just move them to a hive if this is possible. I'm willing to take classes or apprentice with an experienced keeper. I don't want to harm the bees, just move them and stop the complaining (if you know what I mean).

I realize what a valuable resource they are, being a healthy wild colony. I'm fine with them staying in the house but I'm getting alot of grief over it. I am willing to take the side off the house if that will increase the chance of saving the colony. I was just hoping there was another way.

The last time I know they swarmed, there were so many of them I don't think they would have fit into a hive(huge ball). My great uncle use to come get the swarms but he is no longer able to care for them and he's sold his hives.

They are going in on the NW side and the N side on the 2nd floor. Is it possible I have more than one colony?

I would like to keep them here for pollination reasons. The honey is really just a bonus.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Taking a bee course or class in your area would be a good first step.
    Getting equipement, preferably new, this way you know that you'r not
    getting somebody's desase.
    Taking bees out ot a building without any loss is not easy, normally it will kill many bees,
    especially when done later in season when combs are heavy with honey,
    sometimes then the comb collapses and bees get traped and killed.
    The hardest thing is to get the queen.
    What I would do is this...build a modified super [bee box] with one side or back
    completely open, this side attachted to the cut open wall where the combs are, not too high and not to low..about center of brood area.
    Fill box with about 7 frames foundation, best use drawn foundation, put a little brood with bees from wall into the box for a bait.
    Eventually when the hive expands, the queen will go in there and lay eggs...hopefully??...make
    sure you're limiting their space in the wall, perhaps you have to close off some with wood.
    Bees will eventually use the hive box entrance also to get in and out to their colony...then you can seal
    off other holes they used to use.
    The hive should be checked first about after 1 or 2 weeks, or sooner
    at the peak of the season, then every second day or so until you see the queen.
    One's you spot her, take the box off the wall, close off the side of box, best leave the box within 3 feet the first couple of day's until they settled.
    Take out all comb with brood and put in hive with some honey. Perhaps use a second box if full?
    Clean out the wall completey, seal any holes, put back siding and and seal again.
    You possibly have more then 1 hive in this house, I have seen a similar situation with about 3 hives.
    There are allot of bee books out there, read a lot, check out Beesource Forum and read from
    other bee keepers.
    I have done a similar contraption,.. I made some brackets and attached the hive to the wall with about a 2 " hole in the hive box......it didn't work very well because I couldn't cut open the wall, I'm sure, this [new] way should work much better.

Konrad

• claytamer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Konrad, thanks for the info and your patience. I clipped it for future reference and I'll run the bookstore in the morning when I get off work. I'm sure I'll have more questions on the matter as I learn more about it.

Thanks again for your help. I better get back to work.

MJ