Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starter Hive Size?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:51

Something I haven't found on my own yet, but is the size of a new hive important? As in, can it be too big for a swarm or nuc this time of year?

Main reason is because I'm starting my first hive, and have realized that if I make it two bodies and two honey supers, I can paint it up as something rather iconic:

photo 64166_272737629527742_1804604740_n_zps5705464d.jpg

Base is already there, and the hive cover has a nice rim that will make the top ledge quite nicely, I could then paint the panels on the two hive boxes and then have the windows and sign on the honey supers.

The location I plan on putting the hive in is already out of the sun, so I'm not overly worried about the relatively dark color being an issue.

Just wondering if two hives and two supers from the very start would be too much for a fresh colony to establish in, or if I'll need to go ahead and paint it up, then reduce it down smaller until they can build up?

This post was edited by Edymnion on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 23:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starter Hive Size?

It is usually recommended to give the bees only the space they need. You may be able to accomplish what you are trying to do by putting a solid inner cover over the brood box and not installing frames in the other, empty boxes until needed. Once a box is almost full you can move the inner cover up and fill the next empty box with frames..

o
RE: Starter Hive Size?

Sounds good. I'll get everything painted up, take my pictures, then just pieces as I need them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here