Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant, Flower or natural way to repel wood bees from carport?

Posted by melonmagician Zone 8a N.Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 22:02

Hello We have a large carpenter bee problem they seem to like moms carport...i like them because they are one of the best polinators here in ne texas but how can we repel them out of the carport into the garden instead

I heard that there was a flower or a plant that most bees dont like the smell off and wont come near...is this true and does it work on all bees and wasps?

Please Help us

MY garden is going to be sunflowers marigolds and watermelons,cantaloupes and tomatos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant, Flower or natural way to repel wood bees from carport?

I'm not aware of any plant that that will deter them, though there are people marketing a repellant that is made of plant extracts and the like (www.beetour.com for one).

The best protection seems to be paint (not stain) and using woods they don't prefer:
"Keep all exposed wood surfaces well painted (oil base or polyurethane) to reduce attack. Wood stains will not prevent damage. Aluminum, asbestos, asphalt, vinyl siding and similar non-wood materials will not be damaged. If practical, remove and replace damaged wood with chemical pressure-treated wood to discourage nest construction."

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpenter Bees Fact Sheet

o
Cool thanks we are going to try the bee tour

Cool i like the idea of that natural repellent...carpenter bees are the most annoying bees but im not afraid of them..

o
RE: Plant, Flower or natural way to repel wood bees from carport?

We have a major problem with them along the trim over our back porch. And now they're drilling holes in the cedar overhangs of my chicken coop. They really frustrate me. But I've been reading that they are great pollinators, and considering that we're losing alot of our honey bees, I think I'll try to mildly discourage them (in natural ways), and just replace the badly damaged pieces of wood eventually. They don't make holes straight through into your house, but turn at a 90 degree angle, once they are 1/4" into the wood, and make their chambers.
One reason I don't want to make it impossible for them to continue to drill holes in the back porch area, is that I know they will go elsewhere on the house, where it would be much harder to get to to replace the wood.
The males don't have stingers, only the females do.......but it's hard to tell them apart.
Good luck, but try to balance things in your mind, as to your approach. I think they do alot of good, and so I'm going to tolerate them for the most part. But I do have a discussion with them everytime I have to deal with them, and ask them to please use a tree or old fencepost instead. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here