Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a Top Bar Hive

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 22:28

Hi folks,

Usually hang out over at Tool Shed and Lawn & Garden Tractors forums.

I have one traditional Langstroth hive. The guy who has been taking care of it for me is getting on in years and I'm going to take it over. Have been researching the Top Bar hives and am in the process of building one. Not particuarly interested in selling honey, just would like to do everything I can to help the bees.

Looking for lessons learned or recomendations on the top bars themselves. From online research, there are various configurations to choose from. Simple saw kerf with beeswax, "half round," molding, triangle, square, saw kerf with heavy cord immersed in wax, popsicle sticks glued in kerf, etc. Beekeepers are creative! :-) Thinking about a combination of the above and seeing which the bees prefer. Easy enough to rework the unpopular ones.

The design I'm using is "essentially" the one advocated in the "Barefoot Beekeeper" book and online info. Essentially as in I'm using miscellaneous wood I had in the barn.

So, what top bar design works for you?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a Top Bar Hive

Don't know how cold it gets for how long in your area, but a top hive is hard to keep bees alive in the northern U.S. because it's small and the amount of food the bees need to make it through the winter may not be sufficient. Bee sure to read more beefore proceeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here