Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Dog safe from bee Stings

Posted by awayinthegarden 4 Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 22:59

I am new to beekeeping and am concerned about my sweet old black lab getting stung by my honey bees. There is a fence (and raspberry bushes) that will keep her 8- 10 feet away. Should I add more space than that? There are also large shrubs all around. Are there times of day or evening I should avoid having her outside? Would love to here from people with dogs and hives, especially city lots. Many Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Dog safe from bee Stings

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 10:05

I have had dogs and hives for quite a while. The hive is right at the edge of my yard with a small chicken wire 2ft around it so they don't stick their noses too close. Never had a problem. Unless your Lab had a major allergy problem I wouldn't worry about it.

o

This is my third day keeping bees, so take a grain of salt. My 14 year old Golden promptly went over and lapped the sugar syrup off the box my bees arrived in. She got stung at least twice in the mouth, but appeared totally unfazed by it, barely reacted except to immediately leave the bee area---no swelling, no yelping---really nothing---but it reminded me that I might want to keep some benedryl on hand for her. I am fully prepared---knowing my dog and how she likes to go to the expensive, emergency vet on weekends, in the middle of the night---to be wakened up at 2am by a distressed, puffy dog, but so far nothing.

o

THE DOGS LEARN QUICKLY TO KEEP THEIR DISTANCE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here