Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beekeeping in NY subburbs?

Posted by dcarch Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 22:59

Hi, I know nothing about beekeeping.

I understand that there are a lot of fake honey being sold in the stores, so I am thinking of keeping bees.

Is is it practical to keep bees in NYC suburbs? How do you get started?

Thanks in advance.

dcarch

BTW, I am very handy with tools. I can build anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beekeeping in NY subburbs?

A good starting point would be to buy the book "Beekeeping For Dummies". Enough information to get you started. Another online source is beesource dot com. That's where all the beekeeping discussions are.

o
RE: Beekeeping in NY subburbs?

Yes, beekeeping is very practically anywhere. There are people in New York City that keep bees on skyscrapers. Here a picture. The best way to get started would be to join a local beekeeping club and find someone to mentor you or go to a beginner beekeeping course. Also read books and learn as much as you can, read different book and listen to different beekeepers because each person has their on techniques and styles. But remember expensive is not always better when getting into beekeeping. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Beekeeping Pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here