Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpenter bee houses?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 23:46

I have seen mason bee houses in catalogs...has anyone heard of a carpenter bee house? I thought maybe if I built them their own house, they wouldn't make so many holes in mine. I did a search on line, and all I found was ways to kill them! I wouldn't do that! They are pretty, and not hostile...I wouldn't want to harm them. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpenter bee houses?

the thing is that they are attracted to your house, and won't want to all be in one spot,if you built a shed out of a material that they like and made the surroundings similar to that of your house they would probably nest there, but still in your house aswell, to fix that problem you would have to make your house unattractive to them, resideing it with soemthing they don't like would probably do the trick for the msot part, just cover all the wood with aluminum. You did say you had extra piles of cash lieing around right, good I charge 100 dollars for this kind of advice, you can make the deposit to my nmbered swiss account 3423..... :)

o

Thanks for the advice, Brendan, but my house is in a historic district and the city would lock me up if I put alluminum over the wood trim... the main part is brick. I tryed filling the holes with wood putty once, but they just drilled back. A few are entertaining...how many is too many?

o

How many constitute too many is really subjective, For me one is too many, because by damaging the house they increse the need for fosil fuels, some people wouldn't mind it if there were a million little holes in there house, something you might do, something that they do for rats, is to mix little bits of crushed glass into the patching compound and then refill the hole, when they go to bore throught they wont be able to go throught the glass, or you could put some diatomaceous earth into the hole, it messes with there resperatory systems or so I am told, they should leave those holes alone. Goodluck

o

• Posted by gilisi zone 7 sth/est (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 19:20

say bye-bye to your house if you are determined to love these things!

o

The carpenter bees are wonderful pollinators working on cold days to pollinate my fruit trees when it is too cold for the other bees. One cool spring, they were the bees working my apple trees. I had a great crop that year.
Their houses are a 1/2 inch hole drilled an inch or two into old untreated wood. The hole then turns at a 90 degree angle. That sounds difficult to build. I wonder if just drilling the straight inch or two hole would encourage them to finish the 90 degree turn. That last part is their brood chamber.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here