Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re top-bar hive with mesh bottom

Posted by lbgardenboy562 SoCal Sunset22 (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 0:01

Howdy all.

I built a top-bar hive with a wire mesh bottom and installed a package of Italian bees three weeks ago.

I've observed an interesting behavior with my new bees and wanted to run it by some more experienced beekeepers.

The returning foragers do not enter the hive to make the nectar transfer to the house bees. Apparently, from what I can see, they do it through the mesh bottom. I haven't seen the actual transfer, but the foragers will be on the wire mesh for 1-3 seconds and then they are off again. I'm assuming they are passing the nectar, as comb is being built and very few foragers enter the hive thru the entrance, except at the end of the workday..

Has anyone else seen his behavior?

Dick Barnes
Long Beach, Calif.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re top-bar hive with mesh bottom

To answer your question, I've not observed that behavior since i don't have a TBH. I'm interested in your experience though since I'm about to try one. Assuming you started with an empty TBH, how long did it take your package to get comb established and start laying? How did you feed them while that was occuring? I'm real interested in what effect a TBH has on the varroa mites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here