Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romur1

Killer Bees

romur1
18 years ago

Are the africanized bees less seceptable to mites? It looks like they will fill the void here in New Mexico. Does anyone know if any have been put into production in the US, like in South America.

Comments (12)

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

I don't know about the other states but "knowingly" putting Africanized honeybees "into production" is illegal in Texas.

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

CORRECTION - (For those following this thread).
    I see the Texas rule as it was officially adopted in it's final form, dropped addressing the legality as to whether it is permissible to have and maintain AHB colonies. An earlier draft, clearly made it illegal to have and maintain AHB colonies but in the final version of the law (adopted Nov. 23, 2004), it is simply not addressed.
    Ref: Texas Administrative Code, Title 4, Part 4, Chapter 71, Rule 71.7

[Just wanted to make this clear and not be putting out old or misleading information]

• romur1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks txbeeguy, good to see someone keepin' it real.
    Just wondering if any concideration has been given to the subject. It seems like it's going to happen at sometime in the near future.
    I mean, beekeepers in africa seem to do OK. Weren't hives in North America more wild until Italian Queens were brought here?

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

Yeah, it's going to happen whether we (beekeepers) like it or not. Back to an earlier question of yours; about the mites winning or the AHBs winning. I think the jury is still very much 'out' on that issue. Some people believe one way and some another - I suspect only time will tell. I personally believe the mites will loose that round due to the inherent nature/characteristics of the AHBs (unless the mite's genetics are faster to adapt...unlikely). If there are still feral colonies of AHBs around in ten or twenty years, I guess we'll know the answer.
    Langstroth was one of the early original importers of Italians. Up until that time (cc 1850s), the German 'black bee' was probably the most common race of A. melifera in the U.S. It's ill temperament was well known and publicized. You are correct in your observation that beekeeping became a more genteel avocation after the introduction and wide-spread popularity of the Italian race. And I suspect you will also be correct in seeing this trend reverse with the spread of AHBs (at least in the South & Southwest). It is interesting to note the speed at which the AHBs have spread westward and not so rapidly to the east - the latest thinking in explaining this phenomenon has to do with the amount of annual rainfall and it's distribution throughout the year.
    The website below provides some information on bee attacks for 2004 (primarily for southwestern/AHB occupied states) - some prior years are also available:
    http://www.stingshield.com/2004news.htm

• pennsylvania_pete
    18 years ago

AHB are used for honey production in Costa Rica, adjacent to the rainforest. So high rainfall zones mustn't impede their reproduction. Winter lows may be the "culprit". I suspect that in the near future we will be talking of AHB in coastal NC. Right now an eradication program is apparently hindering their spread. I remember when we talked of flooding the Isthmus of Panama with European bees and sterile drones to keep them at bay. Then we poured money into Mexican control efforts. Now they are here.

I have a friend here in PA who was in the Peace Corps and said that they can be used. One thng he mentioned is that they are worked at night. I don't remember why. Guess I'll ask him next time we see each other.

Beekeepers in Africa seldom fool with AHB. Constant re-queening is one technique used, but I suspect that gets tiresome. East Africa (Sudan to Tanzania) as a rule has no native bees (carrion flies do the pollination), and I doubt you find many European bees there.

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

In my attempt to keep my message short, I probably "overly simplified" the rainfall explanation. It's not just the aspect of total annual rainfall; it also has to do with the distribution of rainfall throughout the year, and to a lesser extent, temperatures. You're welcome to read the USDA research report on the subject (#484) at the following link:

http://msa.ars.usda.gov/la/btn/hbb/reprints.htm

Probably the most important understanding gained from the AHB study efforts in Central America and Mexico, was the understanding by the time they first hit Texas, there was not a way to genetically "water them down" (so-to-speak) - that whatever region they moved into, their genetics would allow for them to become dominate in the area. That was an important understanding to achieve.
    My guess at the logic behind working the AHBs at night would have to do with their flight limitations in the dark. But in my mind, crawling bees would be just as bad from the beekeeper's standpoint. However, it probably would help protect neighboring pets and animals (as long as the bees would have enough time to settle down before sunrise).

As noted by the four deaths in Texas last year (see previous posting link), and several pet/animal deaths, these AHBs are certainly a different kind of animal and to say they aren't pleasant to work is a tremendous understatement.

• ccrb1
    18 years ago

good job researching txbeeguy!

• romur1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I can see how naive my questions were, I'm glad i asked
    Thanks Guys

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago

Thanks Rob.
    I haven't read that report; I did quickly scan it yesterday when I found it (I'll go back and actually read it today). I knew it or something like it must exist when I started looking for it because of the conversation I had with one of the USDA bee researchers that first told me they thought they had found the answer as to why the AHBs weren't expanding as quickly to the east (I had asked him the same question). And he "started in" on the explanation but had first mentioned that it wasn't his own personal research that had lead to the discovery, so I figured there must be a report somewhere out on the web documenting it.

• jwarner191
    17 years ago

Now we have Africanized bees here in Florida. I do bee control and have received many calls. One call, the bees killed 2 goats! I have some area photos on my website.
    Dr John Warner, PhD entomology

Here is a link that might be useful: Killer Bees

• jwarner191
    15 years ago

We had our first human death in Florida last month (April 2008) due to killer bees. I have stopped sending bee samples to Gainesville because for the last 2 years, ALL the samples came back as Africanized bees.

Dr J Warner, PhD entomolgy

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Interesting. Species displacement.

Sponsored