Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Missing Miner Bees

Posted by kimmers z4 WI/USA (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 8:54

Last year a small sand/dirt pile in my front flower bed was the home to many miner bees. This was my first encounter with the docile fellas. The sand was to be spread to even out a flower bed but I left it alone all season.

I expected to see bees back this spring but so far not a one. I'd like to spread the sand but would rather provide a home to the bees. So, my questions are: Will the miner bees come back to use the same sand pile? Is there anything I can do to encourage them to return? Is it too early to expect to see them? Have the young from last year hatched? I don't want to destroy bees if I decide to spread the sand/dirt.

Thanks, Kimmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Missing Miner Bees

From what I understand on news reports, the bee population was seriously reduced this winter and spring. There is a lot of speculation as to what happened to them but the common thought is with the mild winter and hard freezes that most areas saw, the bees just didn't make it back to hives in time to avoid the cold. There are a lot less bees in my yard and fruit growers here are renting hives from bee keepers. I would go ahead and move your sand, I don't think they are coming back. Sorry

o

Bee's are going missing everywhere. The only answer is fro you yourself to keep bees or grow bee loving plants and provide houses for them!
SAVE THE BEES!

o

Make sure to read up on how to treat them for mites and their other diseases, though, or you will do more harm than good. Bees are getting harder to keep healthy due to new problems with insecticides and a new mite that kills them off.

o

There is some educational and interesting info on miner bees at North Carolina State University. See link below
www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes

o

Thank you all for replying. I guess I will spread the sand/dirt but provide another pile elsewhere in my yard in hopes miner bees will return. (sigh) On a positive note the bumblebees have returned, for a second year, to the hive in an old, large birdhouse on my front porch. YAY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here