Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhfire77_gw

Newbie with question on hive heath

nhfire77
14 years ago

Hi,

This is my first year bee keeping. I have two hives. Both are brand new package bees. One is textbook perfect, they other is a little off.

They both were installed April 27th.

I was not aware that you have to remove burr comb that was created between the frames when the queen cage was left in for the first few days. The bees have made quite a mess with it and its full of brood, but the brood on the burr comb and the foundation adjacent to it is not to tightly filled, there are one to three cell gaps on both the burr and the foundation.

Also, I found pupa uncapped. I found this to be a bit odd.

Also, there was two supersedure cells, both up high on the brood frame in question.

Someone told me one or two supersedure cells is not the end, just remove them, but, if they come back with more and more thats not good.

I just removed them yesterday.

They have plenty of syrup to feed from, they are collecting pollen and producing nectar.

Should I replace the queen? Or should I wait longer?

The second hive is great, queen is obviously healthy. The hives are only 10 feet apart, so I am assuming, that the environment is not the problem with the other one. I am just not sure if the burr comb is the cause for the stress, which in turn caused the supersede cells.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!