Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Africanized bees

Posted by bee_canuck ONTARIO (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 9:06

Just curious if anyone has experience working with the "killer bees"...what are their characteristics?....are they integrating into the typical domestic honey bee system?...do they have any good characteristics?
Just found this website this morning...very nice!!
I have been a beekeeper for fifteen years +. We have a pretty good grip on the mite treatment in Ontario, but crazy "hot" winters have been a real problem. I am very curious about the "killer bees" which I understand, are problematic in the warmer states.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Africanized bees

Hi bee canuck,
Don't think you'll have to worry about AHB (Africanized Honey Bees) in Canada. From what we're told, they prefer warmer climates.
Only had some limited experience with them, but they attack sooner, with less provocation, and they won't back off when you leave the area--they'll continue to pursue for many hundreds of yards. They also have this weird "anger" mode. You can see it in regular honey bees, but never to the degree that you see it in AHB.
Of course their one positive attribute is that they gather much more honey. I heard Warrick Kerr (the idiot who brought AHB to Brazil) saying on TV that Brazil's honey production had gone up many fold (I don't recall the exact number) since he accidentally released the african queens into the wild back in 1956.

o

Really not a problem any more than hot European hives are a problem. If it's hot, re-queen. It doesn't really matter if it's AHB or not.

o

AHB not a problem? Try telling that to people who have had a family member tortured to death by killer bees. Has there ever been a reported case of Europeans bees killing a grown man or woman?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here