Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Large Bees

Posted by ShelleyREA Georgia (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 9:52

We are used to bees, honeybees, bumblebees and carpenter bees. However, we had a new bee yesterday, much larger than the carpenter (boring) bees. It was pushing 2" in length and was rectangular shaped all the way down. It's head was yellow and it's "back" was yellow like it was wearing a pointed cape across it's shoulders and pointed downward toward it's back. Then the rest of this giant bee was black, but rectangular all the way down. It's did not narrow in at the waist or towards it's bottom. I tried to take a photo, but only had my cell phone so it isn't very close up but does show the coloration. It was really enjoying the new flowers we were planting and when a hummingbird came in to drink the bee came up and the two looked at each other and each went back to its business. The bee was not as large as the ruby throated hummingbird, but not that much smaller either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Large Bees

I am in North Ga and have seen what sounds like this bee / flying object this year also. They have been aound the Bee Balm almost constantly and seem content with other bees around them. I have some pictures of them, but do not know how to get them onto here. If someone can instruct me on how to load a picture to a post, I can share the picture. Thanks!

o

Ok - see if this works. I am not sure if I have this right ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo bucket - Bee picture

o

• Posted by gyozu 7 Winston-Salem N (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 11:19

Humming \bird moth.

o

I would love to ID this very large bee?wasp? that was caught in my building. It was at least 3 inches long--NO KIDDING! The hind end alone was at lease 2 inches all by itself. The bee/wasp had a reddish face--not hairy. The hind end was golden with black pin-stipes--very thin stripes. The hind end was shaped like an inverted tear-drop and very very pointy at the end. It was scary!!! I've only seen it once. I was able to free it. If you can ID this bee/wasp I'd be very grateful. I live in Northeastern PA if that helps. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here